Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
snap on feet >

snap on feet

snap on feet

Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 AM

Smile snap on feet

Hey, ladies, & occasional gentlemen, I have a question for you. I have multiple machines, (don't we all) but my older Bernina (which I bought used) uses new style feet & did not come with a satin stitch or applique foot. But it came with 2 adapters for snap on feet. Question is, can I use snap on feet from my Brother or Janome machines on this Bernina? They appear to fit but I'm considering buying another set of snap on feet cause I don't like trading them from one machine to another, (lose track of where the feet are if they happen to be with the traveling machine). But I want to be fairly sure they'll work before I go to the expense. Would appreciate any advice you can give, thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:58 AM

I would see if they work and if so you know what to buy so machines are not foot sharing.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

The snap-on feet should work if you use them with the correct Bernina adapter. Try them out carefully (I would use hand wheel at first, then sew slowly) to make sure they perform as you want. That's actually the purpose of the Bernina adapters -- to allow you to use generic feet and feet from other machines with your Bernina.

It's probably not an issue since you have an older Bernina, but watch and see if the snap on foot covers the feed dogs. If the foot is smaller than the feed dogs, it probably won't feed the fabric very well. Older Berninas usually have standard width feed dogs, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 AM

I use my Brother adapter on my (old) Bernette which was given to me by my sister but she had somehow lost the adapter part. This works just fine. ONLY: the Bernette snap-on feet are just a little different size so those can't be used now as the needle will hit the plate and break. Brother and all mygeneric feet(I've collected about 30) are fine so I can use those in both machines with Brother adapter. So try first turning the wheel by hand SLOWLY to make sure before using the original feet with other adapters.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM

It all depends on slant or straight shaft, both the same. I use mine on my Singers and Universal. Some of my Universal feet are so old they are breaking.