Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM

I have a Brother SE350 (bought weeks before I heard about the SE400 with USB) - would have liked the USB - - but my SE350 has been golden. It is a combo sewing and embroidery machine. I have other machines as well, but I like the auto-thread cutter, the size and weight of the machine - it is easy to carry downstairs if I want to sew down there for the day - it has been a golden machine.

I have heard complaints that Singer (no matter who sells them) just aren't the same machines any more. They used to be sturdy workhorses.

Marysewfun
Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 AM

I think the biggest problem would be getting them serviced. Some dealers will not service machines that are not bought from them.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Have a brother SQ9000 I bought from Amazon .com for $139 over a year ago, and it has been a great little machine. Have other machines but I like the stitches (80) needle up and down and no need for foot peddle, has start stop on harp. If I did a lot of big heavey quilts, might be hard, but for a beginner or who wants to do small things great starter machine. Later when she decides what she wants and needs if a high end machine.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I have an older Kenmore (bought new, in 1977), a Janome 7700, and a Brother cs6000i. The Kenmore was a workhorse but now needs attention (minor, I'm sure). The Janome is for my quilting and the Brother was bought, to teach my daughter and granddaughter to sew. Bought the Brother online, from WalMart . . . and it's PERFECT, for its purpose. It sews very well, is user-friendly, and has enough bells and whistles, to please any beginner. Yes, it's probably mostly plastic and yes, it was relatively inexpensive. However, it gets the job done and doesn't complain. I can use the same bobbins in both the Brother and the Janome, so occasionally switch back and forth, if I'm constantly needing to change thread. The machines 'feel' different and I do prefer my Janome . . . but it also cost a heck of a lot more than the Brother. I did lots of research and thought long and hard, before shelling out that much money for a sewing machine. When buying the Brother, I also did lots of research and decided NOT to buy a lesser Janome. The Janome would have had a lot less 'bang for the buck' and this particular Brother had very good user reviews.

Bottom line - whatever you consider, do some research. Find out what owners of the machine, have to say about it. Don't go into any store and just take the word of the salesperson. Remember the salesperson wants to SELL. He/she may badmouth the competitor, in order to make a sale . . . whether or not it's true.

As for "you get what you pay for" . . . that isn't always true. You can find excellent bargains on quality machines . . . and you can also pay mega-bucks, for crap.
Right you are, there are good and bad in every brand.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
My $89 Brother from Walmart runs almost every day for hours, and it is now on year 7 for me!!
I'd say that's a good advertisement for these machines. I doubt that they think that most people are going to use their machines for hours at a time. Most people get them to do basic repairs, with a goal to sew, I suppose.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Banned

Did you buy it???
Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
I've had a Brother CS 6000 for about six years. I only use it when going to my quilting group, group meets about 3times a month. I've found as long as I don't try to sew heavy seams, like extra thick fabrics the machine stitches fine. I wouldn't buy it for everyday sewing machine but if someone was just starting out sewing and knew that they couldn't hem jeans with this machine; this would be a great first machine.

As far as the Singer machines that Walmart sells, I wouldn't touch one of them with a ten foot pole! One of the groups I sew with had been given several of the Singer machines and we are always having some issue with those machines. And because the bobbin is a front loading bobbin and not a drop-in bobbin, it is much more difficult to put the bobbin case and bobbin in correctly. If a new sewer tried one of these, I would think they would never want to touch another sewing machine for the rest of their lives!!!
I 2nd everything Chris said, my Cs6000i is great for travel & classes, it has been going strong for about 6 yrs, but maybe too lightweight for extensive sewing I also agree about the Singers.
And I think the Walmart Brother's in the over $200 range will do you well, plus if you get a lemon they have a good return policy. I also have a Walmart Brother 270D (no longer made) that I bought 6 yrs ago when I realized I would be staying with my daughter in another state for a couple of months (help with new baby) and wanted to make baby things & have emboridery. I love that machine, get it out everythime I visit. It has held up well but then again it isn't used everyday.

wwalmart Brother
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I have a brother cs6000i my husband bought me over a year ago, and I have done everything on it. I have pieced, quilted, sewn through several layers, and sewn denim on top of another layer.

I have to tell you that my brother who is a truck driver for many years with a top rating in all categories, and he has told all of us that he sees it over and over on products that go to both big box stores and the local stores are the same quality for the same product.

He seen clothes before that all they did for a high priced store over such as K-Mart just different labels sewn on for each store. The prices of course for the nice store much higher for the same item as the K-Mart one.

He has seen this for many many things, and he said the people believe it. I have seen it myself too. I had bought a dress one year that the principal of the school I worked at that year had bought also only at a much higher rated store with a much higher price tag. Neither of us ever wore that dress again. lol... A girl thing.

My dad went to a store to buy a high priced item one year, and the first thing they tried to sell him was the warranty on it. My dad said, "with the money I am paying on this item if it is no better than to last that long without buying a warranty for x number of dollars more then it must not be much of a product," and he left the store to buy it elsewhere.

They have also ran stories on t.v. about how some of these stores make their real money in selling all the warranties.

When it's all said and done though, I think we all buy the products we do, for the amounts we do, and for the reasons we do. lol.....

It so much fun to sew though isn't it?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I have had my Wal-Mart machine for over 2 years now and it has never given me any problems. I have the brother SQ-9050 which some on here have used for FMQ with no problems. Maybe someone with this model will chime in and talk about it. I don't use mine for FMQ so can't comment on that area but it is a good machine for the price.
I have it, and have literally fmq'd dozens of quilts on it...I just love it. I do use Leah Day's FMQ foot adaption...but that has nothing to do with the machine...I would use her foot on any machine. My SQ-9050 was purchased at Walmart...this winter will be 3 years I've had it...which figures out to about 50 dollars a year if it died today! If it died today, I would also go right out and get another one! I am very fond of the start/stop button...I will never use a foot pedal again as long as this type of machine is available...my back and neck used to hurt a lot when I used the foot pedal on my machines...now this is all but eliminated as I can sit very relaxed and just use my finger to start/stop.
Dolphyn...I also found out a little trick that's not in the manual...if you push the start button and hold it in, the machine will stitch very slowly, giving you control in tight spots where you may stitch too far otherwise...
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM

I have 2 Brothers sewing machines from Walmart that I have had for about 6-8 years and are doing great. I even hem jeans on them!