Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Encouragement >

Encouragement

Encouragement

Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 PM

I started quilting on my grandmother's tredle machine. Then I got a basic singer and used it till it died. I bought a rebuilt Necchi and used it till it gave out as well. Then I graduated to my Babylock machine. We all start somewhere and the important thing is to not overextend the budget so that you worry about what you're spending for materials when you do make quilts.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Check Craig's list, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. as well as the other suggestions. Many times people buy more than they can use and are glad to find a new owner. If your wife truly loves quilting, she will find a way. Wonderful that you are willing to help.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Their are several Brothers at Walmart that sew beautifully. Sister & friend & I have the 6000i model Also another friend makes things for consignment shop & has one . they have a lot of features. for the price. I sew on 63 model Singer. a lot.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM

You might want to check with dealers to see if they have any reconditioned used machines. I couldn't afford the computer machines until I found a dealer that sold me a gently used Baby Lock for 1/2 price. I use it a lot and have never had any problems with it. Also check with a sewing machine technician. They might have a lead on a gently used machine. Good for you for supporting her hobby.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I don't know any quilter that would not quilt just because she didn't have a certain machine she wanted. This doesn't sound right to me.
Me either.....maybe she just thinks she wants what she wants!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Geri B; 11-12-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM

I agree with most of the other people who have posted. I quilted for years with a $200 second-hand Nelco. On really intricate blocks, I pieced by hand and have friends who still prefer hand piecing and hand quilting their work. All the expensive toys are nice to have but not essential to enjoyment of the hobby or the quilter's ability to produce beautiful work. One of the prettiest quilts I ever saw at the Paducah quilt show was made by hand because the quilter was a trucker's wife who liked to go with her husband and she just took her sewing basket with her and pieced blocks while he drove. By the way, I think it's great that you are so supportive. That's waaay more important than a high-end machine.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 AM

I used my 1975 Pfaff 1222E for my first 25 years of quilting. Newer isn't always "that much" better. Quilting requires forward, reverse, straight stitch, and if you are fortunate--a 1/4" quilting foot. Everything after that is fluff. Most dealers have good solid machines that have been traded in. I would check with your local dealer and am sure you will find something close to your budget. Good Luck to both of you!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27 PM

My first machine is a $100 Brother from wal-mart. I now have a lower end Janome'. I still use my old Brother for free motion quilting. And I use my Janome' for piecing and binding with a walking foot. My Brother worked very well for piecing as well. But I also had grand dreams and I have wonderful in-laws that wantto help make my dreams come true. My Janome was a wonderful gift. Someday I will have a long arm to quilt on. But someday is still a ways off. So Brother and I make beautiful love filled quilts together. I hope she tries and finds out it works fine without the best expensive machine. Remember they use to use a needle and thread to piece. Many wonderful quilts made by hand over the years. Keep on being supportive. It is a lucky lady that has a husbands support and encouragement.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 AM

There were so many ideas posted that I really don't need to put in my two cents worth. I love to quilt, but honestly, the quilting world is also a market for people and manufacturers to make money. The big machines though nice are there for the main purpose of making money. If I step on toes, sorry.

It's not the machine that makes the quilt but the quilter. If your wife truly enjoys quilting, she will gladly quilt on any nice machine you give her. There are plenty of low end machines or used expensive ones for a price that is reasonable and has enough bells and whistles to delight any new quilter.

I wouldn't buy a concert grand piano for a beginning piano student any more than is it a good idea to spend thousands of dollars on a high end sewing machine for a new quilter/sewer. If money is a factor, you will never get even half back of what you invest in the machine.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

I don't have a fancy machine. Many of my friends who do -- they always say they ONLY ever use the straight stitch! They say that they wouldn't pay for it again. It's nice to have all of the bells and whistles... but I even know a lady who does all of her quilts on an old HAND CRANK machine! If your wife's machine is at least in good working order, then that is truly all she needs. If, however, she gets frustrated because it's not working right, then that would make any of us want to toss out the cat .. with the machine... If it needs a tune-up, then that may help her feel better. Oh, and she needs to change the needle with EVERY new project. That goes even for the fancy pancy machines Shayla.