Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on the cheap? >

Quilting on the cheap?

Quilting on the cheap?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I think as a beginner quilter, you would find it much easier to start with fabric, rather than with clothes.
I started quilting with clothes about 40 years ago. I had a wash basket full, and cut them all up into 6 inch squares. If the 6 in. strip didn't quite yield another 6 in. for the last square, I cut it "whatever" wide. These went into a separate pile. I mostly just put the squares into rows and sewed the rows together. But later I learned to make Nine Patches, Stairway to Heaven and Trip around the World. So easy.
Later I worked at the "6 X whatever" pieces, and put them together like a rail fence. None were the same width, but I put enough of them together to create the 6 inches. Some of these quilts were quite stunning.

It was all free.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I started quilting with clothes about 40 years ago.
The description you give is about piecing. The OP has asked about FMQing. I assume you hand quilted or tied those quilts? (Machine quilting wasn't 'in' 40 years ago, is why I make this assumption.)

Piecing with clothes doesn't really produce additional challenges. But quilting them does.

It seems like the OP really has 2 questions. For a large quilt for her mother- clothes are a great idea. But if she wants to get better at FMQing, sale fabric is the better idea.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
Why have I always heard not to use sheets as a backing?
My opinion, sheets now a days have a higher thread count which makes it difficult to quilt through. Years ago, 200 TC was considered luxurious<o></o> and high end. If you have a high polyester amount, it also makes it more difficult. I've heard gently used sheets work nicely. My old aunts would always use sheets for backing. But back then all sheets were mostly cotton.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM

You might also look at the back of fabric stores. JoAnns (where I live) has a clearance section and with coupons you can get some cotton prints for $2 to $3 a yard. I also use the thrift shopes for sheets, all cotton and less than $5 for a queen set. I get alot of my solid colors that way!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
If you decide to go scrappy, PM me.
PM me too if you go with scrappy , I have lots of scraps I Actually cut hundreds of 2.5 inch squares today trying to organise them and have three more 30 gal trash bags full ! A nine patch type scrappy, irish chain , log cabin, you could get yardage of a main color she likes that would blend well with traditional type scraps . Of course with scraps you could not do the speedy piecing such as can be done with strips but many of us use nothing but scraps ! Look at the scrappy threads on here, hours worth of inspiration . I love scraps so much I used to buy scrap boxes off of ebay lol. I have seldom bought yardage at full price . Quilting does not have to be the expensive hobby that it seems to have become these days . Of course I do not do any fancy FMQ , usually just straight lines or outlining which is why you do not see my pics on here LOL .

Last edited by raedar63; 11-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 AM

This site is good for cheaper fabrics but good quality:-

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/

Last edited by rebeljane; 11-13-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: adding