Dental Insurance

Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 PM

I have had Pacific Care dental for 6 years now and I only pay 24.67 a month for the family my husband just got dentures with it and we paid 500.00 for tops and bottoms out the door. No charge for cleaning or xrays no co-pays. I am in calif not sure if they are good all over but here's the number I have for them 800-228-3384
Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
It's not insurance but you might look for a dentist that offers Care Credit. I've used them more than once....you can pay for procedures over, I think, about $200, over 6 months and if pd off on time, there are no finance charges. Other dr's use it too as well as vets---I've used it at a vet's too.
DH has had significant dental work and we used that. It works well with no finance charge. We never had problems with it at all.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 AM

There is a blog I follow where she wrote about her son going to Ecuador for dental implants. It was half the cost of having it done in the USA. I've said for a long time that we do NOT necessarily have the best health care in the world, but we definitely have the most expensive. You can read about the Ecuador experience here:http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/201...s-journey.html
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 AM

I'm retiring the end of Jan. (Yay!) and I will lose my dental insurance. I spoke to my dentist concerning which plan to choose and he didn't recommend the insurance. According to him the ins. covers 1 cleaning/xrays per year and up to $1000 in covered procedures. Premiums for all insurers are close, or over $50 per month. (Ohio)

So for $600 a year I would receive a $200 cleaning/xray. I've had years without extra dental work, so the rest of the premium would truly be insurance. It's a gamble, but dental ins really doesn't pay much in today's market.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM

See if there's a dental school near you. I'm in Michigan and in the same situation. Univ. of Michigan Dentistry School has a very large clinic that not only helps the students get their skills ready for graduation, they offer very affordable rates. Example - I needed a tooth pulled -- quotes from several dentists averaged almost $300. It cost me $70 at the dental school.

I'm very impressed with how thorough they are and there are professors who work very closely with the students. They don't go onto the clinic floor until they're almost ready to graduate.

Rambling but very impressed and getting much-needed work done.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Dentists don't make any money on doing just hygiene (cleanings) alone, and so they always try to diagnose something else. The "something else" is what makes them profitable.

Always ask to see the x-rays, what the consequence of (not) getting the procedure, and ask a lot of questions.

I am in the dental industry, and even my own dentist tried to tell me I needed work on 2 teeth. On a gut feeling, I told him "no".

A new dentist opened up near my house, and when I went to him, I asked him his opinion about these 2 teeth. He told me they were fine. (He took still pictures to prove to me.) So, be careful.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Healthcare.gov has dental ins. now also
Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Fortunately we are close to the University of Buffalo Dental School. The price is reasonable and the work is well done by supervised students. You might check with your community colleges. Some offer classes for dental hygenists. You can get reasonable cleaning there.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 PM

My husband and I both have insurance...what one doesn't pay in full the other does...we have been very lucky over the years
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM

I had Delta Dental at work and got it as a cobra benefit when I retired. It seems to have the best coverage of the ones that I've compared. Both of us have aging teeth and feel safer with insurance.