Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing your stash >

Storing your stash

Storing your stash

Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
My fabrics are stored on shelves behind doors in a large armoire in my sewing space.
Mine are also but I put fabric in plastic shoeboxes with no lids and I sort by color, sometimes by designer as
Thimbleberries, Mary Englebreitet. I bought my armoires (I have two) from J.C. Penney's catalog in the bathroom section.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM

I live in a very dusty environment (southern Nevada) to in order to keep all that sticky dust off my fabric, I keep my fabrics in clear bins with tops. They are sturdy enough to stack, which I do, and I don't think they're difficult to peruse. Of course, I have all of my fabric separated by color, so I know when to look in the "warm" bin, or the "cool" bin, or the brown and yellow bin, etc. It works for me!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 PM

I put mine on shelves (wire coated w/ vinyl), to avoid the problem of dust I used yardage that's flannel backed for a design wall in front of it. I used large grommets & shower curtain hooks to fasten it in front of the shelves of fabric.
That way I have a design wal & storage for yardage.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM

If I have to store some of my fabric in the open on shelves, i buy heavy plastic and cover the shelves. It is easy to move aside to get what you want, and you can see through it. Good way to cover thread to keep it clean but visible. File cabinets (Usually onCraig's list are a great way to store.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM

My husband made me some shelves and we attached curtain rods to the top of them and I have curtains covering the fabric. I can open curtains from middle or push all to one side depending on what color of fabric I'm looking for. I suppose clear shower liners would work also.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM

good ideas and helpful advice I bookmark this post Carol45 I like your cabinets from amazion .com ,I always buy from them .I one I wish wish for a quilt room like this board member one day , I fell in love with her sewing room this girl has a gift for designing craft rooms her name for board is athomesewing
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM

Since my cats rule my house and love my fabric as much as I do, I have to use the clear plastic bins with tops. The fabric is sorted by color and are stacked in order of the rainbow (red, orange, etc) because, well, I'm anal I won't lie LOL I do have separate bins for batiks, and holiday fabrics (Christmas and Misc). I have a couple of plastic 3-drawer units that I keep my Fat Quarters and Kits in.

For projects that I'm working on, I keep all those fabrics in a large 2.5 gallon zip lock bag with the instructions and all the necessary fabric for that project. That way those fabrics won't get lost or misplaced if/when they go into UFO status LOL