Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank goodness for my local library! >

Thank goodness for my local library!

Thank goodness for my local library!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Just think for a minute about all the fund raisers students participate in to raise money so the PTA or other school group can buy things that are not in the school budget. Playground equipment, books for the school library, student desks, repairs on the track or baseball playing field. I belong to a Friends of the Library group that raises very substantial sums of money for tables for the meeting room, chairs for the meeting room, carpet for the meeting room and money so we can host special library events. None of those things are in the city's budget. Our group can't take care of the extra utilities and janitorial services that meetings require.
Taxes and donations are the price of civilization. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
A small group of us also meet at out local library once a month, but they have mentioned that other groups who have a standing reservation usually donate $100-150.....we are thinking of either having a quilt show demo one of the months or find a free space....I thought are taxes would be sufficient dues.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
A small group of us also meet at out local library once a month, but they have mentioned that other groups who have a standing reservation usually donate $100-150.....we are thinking of either having a quilt show demo one of the months or find a free space....I thought are taxes would be sufficient dues.
Several of our local quilters provide quilts to the library to hang on the walls to "dress" them up--looks great and promotes quilting. May be a solution to donating $$.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:39 AM

Check out community centers or senior centers as well.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 AM

If you don't have a library or a church near you, ask your Eagles Club, Elks Club, Moose Lodge, or any other group if you can use their big tables to layer your quilts. Be sure to ask about the spray. You could probably use the Elmer's glue okay or simply pin them together.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:11 AM

Never thought about using the library for that. Altho I have done it at my church upon occasion (with permission of course). Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:13 AM

[QUOTE=Kris P;6568036]I love my local library, too, but I've never basted there. I check out all the new quilting books to see if they are books I 'need' to purchase. I'm also able to suggest a purchase for the newly released books, or books that are not yet available on Amazon. The library orders them and sends me an email when my suggestion has arrived. At first I felt guilty about using the library in this way, but then I took a cruise down the romance fiction aisle, and realized that my suggestions were much better than any of those books![/QUOTE

There was a recent QB post about Nancy Zieman's biography, Seams Unlikely, so I tried to reserve it online. However, the library did not have it and it was not on order. Anyway, there is an option to reserve it no matter what, and so I did. I got an nice e-mail from the library asking for more information. I provided the link given in the QB post. A couple hours later, the library sent another e-mail saying the book was now ordered, and I would be the first one to borrow it!! I am reading it now and it is one of the better biographies I have ever read. Nancy includes comments from family and friends as special insets. This is a book you will enjoy reading.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 AM

My church is 2 miles away and I am welcome to use it - Our quilt guild meets at the library occasionally. They also meet there once a month. we work on our own projects. members are very helpful to those of us who are still learning. Good fellowship too.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Our libraries allow us to reserve rooms at no cost for activities such as this. Every Summer our guild has a show displaying quilts we have made. The library looks forward to our show since it draws in more people. They are always very cooperative.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

My local guild meets in our library and it is a wonderful place to gather and has lots of tables to be used just as you did. No more crawling on the floor for me either! Ouch!! I do the same thing when the gals at church meet for craft night. I just grab two tables and move them together and watch all of the "scrap bookers" watch as I sandwich a quilt. They are learning!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would never donate money to a public service that taxes pay for. I have donated my time to the school when my kids attended.
I had a different "take" on this. I took it that she suggested that the library purchase the books; then when they arrived, she would be told so she could check it out. A few others here have said as much.

Our library - city hall complex has a "Public Learning Center": 3 large rooms that can be made into one huge room, (or one bigger and one smaller). If you don't charge for the activity, you can reserve a room as large as you need without having to pay anything. If it hasn't been reserved, it's available. We've used it a few times for setting up a quilt, and have our club classes there.