Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM

One of our quilting stores has a German Shepherd wandering around. It doesn't bother me, but I think a person afraid of dogs would be shocked. The rescue is a nice furgirl and doesn't bother people unless she knows the person is a dog lover, otherwise she hangs out in the classroom. Of course, she helps me shop but I don't mind. A cat I would mind.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM

If your husband needs to drive you to the quilt shop, could you have them bag any purchases up really well, put them in the trunk of your car and take them home and immediately wash them so to remove any cat dander that might bother hubby? Just trying to find a way around your problem. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 PM

I've never seen a cat in a quilt shop...my boys are super fuzzy so I'm always worried about cat hair on my quilts. It's impossible for me to keep my quilts 100% fur-free and that's one reason I always wash them right before I give them away. I think I would still shop in a quilt shop with cats (since I pre-wash, have cats of my own, and no allergies) but I would probably check over the fabric pretty closely...my boys are PRETTY good but ever so often they get a hankering to put their claws to my furniture. I would check for snags just in case the shop cat decided to sink claws into a bolt or two when nobody was looking.

My favorite used book shop has a store cat named Booker and I adore that little guy. I always feel special when he comes to me for some attention while I'm shopping. He purrs super loud and will stand up on his hind legs to collect a head rub if I'm not diligent enough in my petting. I look forward to having a little "Booker time" when I go there - he is honestly part of the reason that I enjoy going to that store so much, even though I have cats of my own. So I guess it goes both ways.... I guess I'm just really really fortunate not to have allergies!!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Cats in the store, I stay away, same with dogs and cigarette smoke.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM

I have cat and dog dander allergies, and oddly enough have two dogs and had cats until my old lady passed last month. Used to get shots, take lots of allergy meds now. I don't get too upset when animals are in stores.

After retiring, I opened a retail store for about 7 years. Sold it off because the drive was an hour and half each way and I hated the drive. My dogs were store dogs and would not pester folks, but lordy they loved the kids. Might I have lost some customers because dogs were there? Possibly. But not enough of a drop in revenue for me to notice or be affected.

The shop beside me was a yarn shop and had a cat. He never slept in the yarns but was all over that place. That place is packed all the time and with very high ticket sales. Pets seem to be part of that community and folks don't think twice. It is also a community that has "we are scent free" on all the doors and kick people out who even have a whiff of fabric softener on their clothes. I think it is the culture of the community you live in if people just roll with it or decide to not visit that store.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM

In was on a shop hop in another state it seemed that a lot of the stores and a resident cat sometimes more than one I did not buy anything in those shopes one store had a german shepard in my opinion he didn't belong in a retail store at all. A lot of people are afraid of dogs especially big dogs. Since moving to KC I have not seen any pets in any store except pet stores
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

It would be a problem for me . I am very allergic to cats.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

cats and dogs. I love them, but then again, I don't have a problem .
I've taken jobs b/c they had a cat. I figured it can't be all that bad
Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Not sure how I would react. If I could smell the cat - then there is a problem. But I love cats and dogs - so a friendly animal would be cool to me. But the issue of cat fur or dog hair on what I buy may not be too great.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 PM

Since I have cats, I don't mind them behaving themselves in a store. Same with a dog, if it is behaving and not causing a disruption to me, I can handle it. Hair on fabric? Guess I better never be in any more swaps because as much as we may try, there is always some hair that gets on blocks.

What I do have a problem with is having a dog in the grocery store or in restaurants. It seems that some people think you should "like" their animals and not care they are touching the dog then the packages of food or fruits, etc.

If I see a pet in a store, it's my choice to go in or not (or leave if I discover them later)...however, it's not my choice to have a dog at the restaurant table next to me once I've started eating .