Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM

I've always had pets but just because I love them doesn't mean others do. I think pets belong at home, not in stores!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM

I don't mind the cat being in the store... He was a sweet cat and I was petting him. What I do mind is the fact that the fabric is $11 a yard and they will spread it out on the cutting table he is laying on. And the litter box is in the bathroom so when they have classes I would have to smell that when I go to the bathroom. I don't think I'm going to pay $50 to take a class where I'd be smelling the litter box the whole time. I was able to smell it in the classroom. I'll go to the other quilt store that is another 10 min away.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 PM

Is there anyway a friend could wash the fabric before it gets to your house? Maybe put it all in a plastic bag before putting it in your car's trunk ... or the friend could go shopping with you. Treat the friend to a nice lunch and make it a fun event.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 AM

I'm a cat lover (dog, too), but I really don't like seeing animals in stores. I've noticed that many people bring their dogs into the local stores (Wal-Mart, etc.) and I cringe seeing the pet in shopping carts. Pets belong in the comfort of their own home.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 AM

it would bother me... just walking in a home with a cat sets me to wheezing and hunting my inhaler. Dogs I am ok with, but I agree with most here, Cats, Dogs and smoke, DO NOT belong in a fabric store. I am so allergic that if I walk into a place where people smoke, and turn around and leave, I smell it on my hair and clothes. We have my son's dog living here now, and although I love her dearly (she is part Rottie, part Husky, part Rat Terrior) she has short, smooth hair, but every day I find a small dog in the vacuum...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:21 AM

I like cats, and am not allergic to them, but I don't think they should be in the stores because of the problems it causes those who are allergic. I have family members who are highly allergic to cats, and they can get very ill pretty fast when they come in contact with cats. There was once a quilt shop in my area where they had a cat, and it was a beautiful cat that everybody loved, but I had to wonder how many people had to stay away because of it?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 AM

I love animals but to me having pets in a place of business is not a very smart choice.Why doesn't anyone speak up?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 AM

I wouldn't shop there. Pets belong home not is places of business. I don't want to pay the high prices of quality quilt fabric and have to worry about pet hairs or dander all over my new fabrics.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 AM

That is definitely a problem for people with "cat allergies". My daughter just encountered a similar problem when she went to get her nails done. The nail technician works from her home & there is a cat in the house & my daughter is very allergic to them. Fortunately, the cat just laid in the corner & the technician was very considerate & would have moved the cat upstairs (or wherever) but it ended up ok but that could have changed very quickly if the cat was a "roamer". Even though most of us don't face this situation it can be very problematic for some others & pet owners (especially, those who deal with the public) need to be very vigilent as this can be a serious health issue for some.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 AM

I love my Dogs, and if you come to my house , well this is their home. I will say I don't believe in taking your pets to public places. Unless it is a service dog. There are a lot of people who are allergic to cats and dogs as well. I have never heard of someone bringing a pet to a quilting guild. I love dogs and cats but they need to be left at home. If I went to a fabric shop and they had a cat there I would not buy the fabric, I have no allergies but someone else might and besides that I don't want cat hair all over my fabric. I know you that have cats think they don't get on your cabinets but when you are the cats do play, lol....I know, we have had cats for years up until the last few years. They are smart, will behave while you are there but when you are gone they like to explore other places, just saying. Well all that said hope you can find some place to but fabric that doesn't have a cat or dog laying around.