Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your quilts in hot water >

Do you wash your quilts in hot water

Do you wash your quilts in hot water

Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Do y'all wash your quilts in hot water after they're completed to make sure they play nice in case the recipient has a brain dump and puts them in hot water? I always use warm water, but if there's a possibility it'll end up in hot water, should I use hot water too?
Absolutely! The water in a washing machine is never as hot as you think it is going to be since there is a long interval of cold water coming into the machine before the hot water ever gets to it. I use two color catchers to try to be sure any color bleeding gets caught And then I put it in a hot dryer. I don't expect my quilts to be used to wrap a refrigerator when someone is moving, but I do expect that a cat or a dog will jump into somebody's lap or onto a bed or a chair or sofa on which there may be a quilt. I don't like to have things that can't take the rough and tumble of full family life. And I'm not making heirlooms when I make a quilt, which is a good thing because they would never pass muster with the quilt police anyway. froggyintexa
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM

Yes, I use HOT water. I prewash the fabrics in hot.

Once the quilt is ready to be gifted (I haven't kept any for myself) I wash in hot water in a front load HE machine and machine dry on the cotton setting. I include a Laundry Directions printout when I gift the quilt that basically says that it is their quilt and they should treat it as they want to. I let them know that I already washed and dryed it at those high temp settings.

Everyone I've spoken with has said they would never wash my quilts in hot water but at least they know that is an option if there is a case where it should be done (lice example above is a good reason!). Also, I don't want my quilts to be heirlooms, I want them to be used and dragged around and that might mean they need a good washing in hot at some time. But, again, once it is out of my hands it is their quilt to do with as they want to. :-)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 AM

Do y'all wash your quilts in hot water after they're completed to make sure they play nice in case the recipient has a brain dump and puts them in hot water? I always use warm water, but if there's a possibility it'll end up in hot water, should I use hot water too?
Never ever!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:05 PM

I wash cold water - but so is everything else i own, cept for whites (they get hot)...

If it's warm out, i'll tumble dry to get most of the moisture out of it - then i'll lay it out on the back porch. If it's winter - it's gets tumbled dry til dry.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Almost all of my quilts are charity baby quilts. I want to be sure the teen mothers can treat them as roughly as needed to remove stains. I prewash all fabrics in hot and then wash the finished quilt in hot using scent free sensitive skin detergent.

i wash my personal quilts in a watm/ gentle cycle.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:19 PM

glassdriller, I use Odoban all the time I have 4 inside dogs, I didn't know it comes in Lavender! I haven't seen it at Walmart where I buy my Odoban, where do you find yours?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 PM

no no absolutely not
Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 PM

i always wash my fabric in warm or hot water before i start a quilt becuase if it is going to shrink i want it to shrink before i make the quilt >> dont like surprise from the fabric after the quilt is done , if i am giving it to another person i make sure they know to wash it in cool to warm water and tumble dry
Old 05-12-2014, 03:44 AM

I always tell recipients to wash quilts in cold water. I have been washing every thing in cold water for at least 40 yrs It's better for your fabrics. They last longer. And all forms of laundry detergents have always been made to work in cold water. Hot water was not always so convenient. Also liquid and powdered bleaches work better in cold water.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:47 AM

I always wash my fabric in hot water before I make my quilt. After I have finished I wash in warm water. Never a problem and I have several of my quilts that I use regularly.