Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine? >

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

I Do use serge protectors for all of my electronic devices/machines. Guarantees and warranties seldom cover damage from power outage problems so spending those few dollars can save you thousands later... Better safe than sorry
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM

We have a whole house surge protector on our meter. Pay a little extra for it every month and hopefully it will actually pay for a loss if we ever have one. Actually, I hope that we never have to test it. It's supposed to cover everything in the house...supposed to.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Definitely on my computerized sewing machine but no other appliances in the sewing room. On my computer, I have a battery-back up surge protector. Actually, all of the appliances in the office are on some form of surge protector. Main TV and a couple of other odds and ends only because the surge protector was about the right length and handier than a regular extension cord.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I use a surge protector because our wiring is so old (50s). I know a lot of people with newer homes who use surge protectors though!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Yes, absolutely! However, I have the kind of surge protector that has the battery backup..so if I am sewing and we have a blackout or a brownout, which both of those are fairly frequent where I live, even when there are no storms in our area. The battery backup will continue to power whatever device is plugged into it without interuption during a power outage for about 20 minutes, so that give me enough time to finish up a seam or whatever and turn the machine off and unplug it. I don't think that a regular surge protector is enough because with a computerized machine, if power is cut off while in the middle of sewing, that's not ideal for the computer in the machine.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Absolutely on my computerized Bernina. It cost more than my computer and I want to protect it.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:50 PM

I have 3 surge protectors in my sewing room. When lightning is near, I unplug my Bernina. I guess I don't trust even a surge protector with my Bernina. Everything else, I can replace if the surge protector fails.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 PM

I have a surge protector for my Elna 740 and a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) which also has surge protection for my long arm. That way, if the power fluctuates or goes out while it's running, it has battery power which kicks in and keeps it going until I can safely shut it down. It was recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM

YES YES YES! I have them on everything. I had to repair my #1Plus Viking with a new motherboard after lightning got it. I never want that to happen again.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:19 PM

I do use a surge protector now, after my Pfaff quit working, but don't know why. Cost to repair, about $450.00. He also said to make sure to have a battery backup. Lesson learned!