Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine? >

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 AM

I have the surge protectors that are battery back up for all machines and computers. to many $$$'s invested not to protect them.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:31 AM

I use a serge protector on my machine when I am sewing somewhere my machine cord can't reach. If I am sewing at home my machine cord reaches the wall plug. Since I don't leave my machine out all the time, I don't think it's a problem. But when I set up my sewing room (in the process of it now), I will use a serge protector because the wall plugs are few and far between and will need the length of cord the protector will give. The house was built in the 1950's and there are not enough plugs or closets!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 AM

kuntryquilter wrote: We are all under a false assumption concerning surge protectors. Surge protectors do not protect against lightening strikes. Please go to the following website & read, please.http://stormhighway.com/surge_protec...ction_myth.phpI know everyone probably won't read this but it is very important. I just read the article that kuntry quilter wrote above....and she is absolutely correct. My husband was an electrician, employed by Florida Power and Light Co., prior to retiring. I asked him about it and he said that Surge protectors are fine for little power surges by the Power Co. however, they are no protection at all from Lightning Storms and Strikes. The ONLY sure way to protect your valuable items during a storm, is to "Pull the Plugs from the wall". People have a false security when they trust Surge Protectors.....so please be aware and do check out the site that kuntryquilter shared with us.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 AM

I have always used a surge protector on my machines...as well as my computer and tv's. We had one of the big surge protectors take a hit and it just kept beeping. So glad we only had to replace the protector instead of all the computer components that were plugged in to it.
If I know that a big storm is approching, I unplug my computerized machines at the machine. Very simple to undo and redo. Plus, if we are going out of town, the machines are unplugged.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 AM

Yup. I spent extra getting one that screws into the wall and covers the appliance plugged into it. I didn't spend all that money on a sewing machine to have an accident fry it. Especially since it was only an extra $20 to protect a bit more at home
Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 AM

I've always used a surge-protector for my machines, and then recently realized I should probably have one for my laptop, too. You can see where my priorities lie, lol.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 AM

There is a surge protector on the house circuit breaker panel and more surge protectors for the computers, printers, tvs, and every last thing in my sewing room. We live in an area that has electrical surges of all types and we have had lightening come into the house through the electrical wires to the pole. So our electronics are double protected. Surge protectors rule!

Pat
Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 AM

I do use a surge protector and also, I unplug my machine when I'm not using it (I unplug it at the machine since that's easier). I mostly use power strips (with surge protectors built in) for convenience and the surge protection is a bonus. I have my tv and computer each on a UPS with surge protection.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:23 PM

I have a rather expensive Pfaff embroidery machine.. We were told that the simple multi plug strip might not be enough to actually protect it, so we bought one that was guaranteed to protect it. It is meant for high dollar computer systems. Living in the Midwest it would be crazy to not protect that kind of an investment!

However, while we went to great lengths to surg protect it, nothing kept it from being completely filled with water after the tornado went through here.. After months to letting it dry out, and having it completely gone through and serviced the machine works perfectly so far... But we lost all guarantees and warrentees on it... So the surg protector only gives me peace of mind and didn't help one bit to protect it from what actually happened!! Crazy how life works.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I am overprotective of my sewing machines .. LOL .. the lightning bolt would have to go through two serge protectors and I turn off the machines and unplug them as well as my iron is unplugged all the time.. Yah I know call me over protective !LOL