Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stupid questions about wide backing fabric >

stupid questions about wide backing fabric

stupid questions about wide backing fabric

Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Okay, so I have this ginormous piece of fabric for backing of a queen-sized quilt. If I put it in the dryer for a bit, will it "flatten" some of the folds/wrinkles? I have a pretty big ironing board, but still not big enough for this fabric. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I'd run it thru an easy short wash. The wet will help take out the fold lines.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 PM

I have just a regular ironing board and iron all my washed wide backing fabric on it. Not fun but just keep moving it around. It does get a little wrinkled again as it sits on the floor but better than before ironing it.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 PM

Default Test color

Just so you know, there are a couple of new products on the market you might want to try. The first is called Wrinkle ease and the other is Magic Wrinkle remover. Both are meant for garments that you don't want to iron, supposed to just press out with your hands. Doesn't solve all the problem, but makes pressing the deep wrinkles easier.

I forgot to mention to be sure to test the product on a scrap to make sure the color is fast.

Last edited by jo bauer; 06-26-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: forgot color fastness test
Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 AM

You didn't mention if your going to quilt it on a longarm or not, but here is what I do when a wide backing needs de-wrinkled. Load it on the first roller, then I spread it up & over the take up rollers & down behind the table & as I roll the backing up I spray each section with Best Press & iron it holding my Quilter's Cut & Press under the fabric. I then roll up that section & move to the next. It sure beats trying to iron it on my ironing board.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:48 AM

I've got a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood on my worktable. I place a blanket on the plywood and using my steam iron, I iron out all the wrinkles. Works great and is pretty speedy!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I've stripped my bed and used my mattress as a huge ironing board, kinda low but got the job done.
I didn't strip the bed. I just put my regular ironing board - still folded - at the end of the bed, and ironed away. The bed was able to keep the large piece from pulling off and falling on the floor. Got the job done.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I saw a demonstration at the quilt show a few years ago. Put one tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water and use it in a spray bottle. It is fantastic!! Gets out the toughest wrinkles, even the ones created by being folded on the bolt.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:18 AM

I do exactly the same thing as Peckish's friend - I load backings several hours prior to start quilting. However- I spritz it with a dilute solution of fabric softener in distilled water. Works like a champ. I have not ironed a backing in years- even the stubborn middle fold fades away. I can only assume the same can be done if you have a way to hang it. Perhaps over a shower rod? May have to refold after the first hanging. Best of luck with it.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=Peckish;6775899]You don't say if you're quilting on a longarm or a DSM. I have a friend who quilts about 30 quilts a month on the two machines she owns, mostly for charity. She doesn't have time or energy to iron backings. When she gets one that is badly wrinkled, she'll load it in the evening, spritz it with water, and let it hang to release the wrinkles.

That was my thought. I usually hang from my balcony or over a fence or clothes line or across the trailer. Just suggestion to get the old head thinking.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 AM

I have a big rectangular ironing boad that sits on top of my regular board. It makes ironing a lot easier.