Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for newbies >

Advice for newbies

Advice for newbies

Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I have several rules when someone requests that I make a quilt for her: (1) I have final approval on the pattern. This is non-negotiable. We can go through my patterns together so that you can find one you like. I will probably never get around to that double wedding ring for me, so why would I make one for you? (2) I will take you to the LQS and you will pick out and pay for ALL of the fabric, thread, batting, etc. for the quilt up front. How much does it cost, you ask? Figure on $150-$250, depending on the size you want. (3) You will have to wait at least 6 months to get your quilt. I have a full-time job and my own projects to work on, so despite what you think, this is not my #1 priority. (4) I charge $15 an hour for my time and will require a $150 non-refundable deposit before I cut any fabric. When I finish the quilt, I will let you know how much more you owe me for my labor, but it will probably be at least another $150. You may think $15 an hour is high, but I make over twice that in my real world job. I could always charge you that rate. (5) Any fabric left over goes into my stash. You don't sew, so what would you do with it anyway? Depending on the size, I may have a long-armer do the quilting. I will get an estimate from her, and you will pay me before she begins quilting. And finally, (7) Once the quilt is finished, you have 6 weeks to pick it up. If you do not pick it up and pay in full within that 6-week time period, I get to keep it. You have had 6 months to save the money. I realize stuff happens, but you committed to this.

I don't say it as cut and dried as it sounds, but I lay it all out so we are clear on the terms. Needless to say, no one has said "So when do we meet at the LQS." If anyone ever does, I will have a written contract outlining all these points in hand for their signature.
I liked this and amended it slightly (fabric prices are higher here), and I think I will use it!

So you want a quilt?

1) I have final approval on the pattern. We can go through my patterns together or choose a new one so that you can find one you like, but it will have to be a pattern that I am comfortable working with.
2) I will take you to the LQS and you will pick out and pay for ALL of the fabric, thread, batting, etc. for the quilt up front. Depending on the fabric you choose, it will cost approximately $200-$350, depending on the size quilt you want.
3) You will have to wait at least 4-6 months to get your quilt. I have other projects to work on, so this quilt may not be my first priority.
4) I charge $15 an hour for my time and will require a $150 non-refundable deposit before begin to cut fabric. When I finish the quilt, I will let you know how much more you owe me for my labor, but it will probably be at least another $250. You may think $15 an hour is high, but I cannot do it for less.
5) Any bits and pieces of leftover fabric go into my stash.
6) Depending on the size of your quilt, I may need to have a long-armer do the quilting. I will get an estimate from her, and you will pay me before she begins quilting. For a queen sized quilt, the cost will be in the $150-250 range
And finally,
7) Once the quilt is finished, you will have 6 weeks to pick it up. If you do not pick it up and pay in full within that 6-week time period, I will keep the quilt or sell it to recuperate my losses.

Yes, as, volunteering to make quilts becomes a problem as everyone wants one and expects it for free.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 AM

I don't get asked to make the whole quilt so much, as being asked if I will finish a quilt from someone's DGM. I usually say that it depends on what condition it is in and only if they are willing for a meander quilting on it. I have a short-arm machine, and it's too time intensive to roll-unroll-reroll every few seconds for pattern quilting. If they want it hand-quilted, I offer to show them how to do that, as I have arthritis and hand-sewing is very painful for me. So far, I've had 1 person take me up on my machine meandering offer (shown here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t198891.html )
Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 AM

Something like a Big Quilt I would present the Bill for the materials right up front with Agreement of how much it would cost for the making and Quilting before even starting it... and I agree that newbies should start out with smaller projects first.. like you suggested: lap Robes, table Runners, Tote Bags, pot holders, place mats etc...Better to get practice in on smaller projects first...
Old 07-09-2014, 03:48 AM

A very valuable piece of information: People are happy to pay other people for what they can't do themselves if they want the item badly enough. For example, doctors, auto mechanics, financial advisors...so why shouldn't quilters be on that list? Just because we make it and the item isn't purchased at a big boxed retailer doesn't remove value...in fact, it should ADD value because this quilt/pillow/placemat/potholder/whatever was made specifically with YOU in mind - your favorite colors, subjects, patterns, etc. And even at the minimum wage of $7.25/hr (in Texas currently)...I think the next project I do, I'm going to clock in and out just like at any other job, and at the end, figure up how long it took. This includes the time it takes to choose, purchase, and prepare fabric (and other supplies) before cutting and sewing.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 AM

People who don't sew have no clue what it costs to make a quilt, therefore I make quilts for those I love and nobody else. I have often suggested that they buy the fabric, batting, backing , pattern, and any required rulers, cutters, etc. and I would help them if they needed it and they could make all the quilts they wanted. NO takers yet!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
My advice is more on the line of buying fabric. When I first started, I would buy fabric in one yard pieces. (This wasn't matching fabric, mind you, just fabric I liked.) I discovered later that one yard rarely is enough for what I wanted, since I didn't (and don't) usually have a pattern in mind when I fall for fabric. Now I buy at least two yards. Sometimes more.

Dina
I do just the opposite: I buy 1/4 or ½ yard, then use similar colors as the "same" and end up with more variety. I would hate to see my stash in 2 yard increments. Yikes! That's a lot of fabric.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I like to play on line scrabble. There is a lady who "friended" me that I really just tolerate to be nice. She always plays the victim in everything and always wants to chat more than play the game. I am not trying to be mean but I am stating the facts. Today, during a game, she says, "I know you are busy but I would love to have one of your quilts to snuggle up to this coming winter." I thought Yeah right!!! I am not trying to be ugly, but people don't think or know about what it takes in both time and money to make a quilt. They think if the Chinese can sell one to a store to sell for $49.95 it can't be difficult.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 AM

I do the same as smickchick when buying fabric. I usually buy 1/2 yard as 1/4 yard doesn't give me much leeway with just 8". I shop the sale racks/rooms at quilt shops a lot and there is usually a 1 yard minimum so if that's the case it's 1 yard cut. I don't ever seem to be in a bind when it comes to making things so that works for me.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Another thing I have learned - the less time allowed for a project - the more things that seem to go wrong.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
Originally Posted by Dina
My advice is more on the line of buying fabric. When I first started, I would buy fabric in one yard pieces. (This wasn't matching fabric, mind you, just fabric I liked.) I discovered later that one yard rarely is enough for what I wanted, since I didn't (and don't) usually have a pattern in mind when I fall for fabric. Now I buy at least two yards. Sometimes more.

Dina
I do just the opposite: I buy 1/4 or ½ yard, then use similar colors as the "same" and end up with more variety. I would hate to see my stash in 2 yard increments. Yikes! That's a lot of fabric.
LOL!! And if my stash were all ½ yard or smaller pieces, it would be totally useless to me. We are all individuals, with individual tastes and habits.

You are clearly a scrap quilter and that's fine if that's your choice. However, to advise a novice quilter to buy only small amounts (¼ to ½ yard cuts) of lots of different fabrics is to force her down the scrappy road before she has any experience with all the other choices out there. Fewer, larger cuts at the same cost simply keep all the doors open, scrappy included, to let the new quilter find her own personal style. She's owed that much from us veterans.

My advice to new quilters is way off the main trend of this thread. It is simply this: Never be afraid to fail. Constant success teaches us little or nothing, the big lessons come from failure...how we handle it, how we alter behavior because of it, how we overcome it. Growth, both as a quilter and as a person, is the result.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-09-2014 at 05:32 AM.