Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing a Back >

Piecing a Back

Piecing a Back

Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

when doing king size quilts, i buy the 108 inch muslin, it comes in white or off white. then i can do the back in one piece.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:22 AM

I really like this idea. I've not done double sided quilts, but do get quite carried away making my backs. I did do a pieced back that I just kept adding too. Also, I bought a piece of wide back for two quilts and when I split it it wasn't big enough for the one - measurements! So I took two fabrics that were the same color combo, different type pattern and attached in the middle and it looked great.
Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
all of my quilts are double sided, the one I just got back is 2 of Bonnie Hunters mysteries, the other is the one I made with the 50 fab stars paper piecing book with a heavily pieced reverse...my long armer doesn't have any trouble quilting them, but we both understand that if a needle hits a joint with a lot of layers in it the stitch will not be the same size as those surrounding it.
My dear jane was double sided and I hand quilted it.
Quit worrying and start creating.
Double sided quilts half the cost of sending a quilt out to be long armed
Halves the storage space required.
And they are Always beautiful on the bed...

rules are for fraidy cats
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
your second idea, split down middle and add a strip, was the recomended method when i learned to quilt in the 80's. the thought was, that the back was stronger by having seams to side and solid strip in center. but since then, methods and thoughts have changed. no rules ...i am in love w pieced backs. backs made w leftover blocks, backs made scrappy style with big chunks of fabric left over from piecing the quilt. do what is fun ... it all works and looks great!
This is what I do to but I found LindaM comments very interesting.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Like several has said, make it a design element. Not that I am an expert but here are a couple of mine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486633[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill's quilt back.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	486630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brandie's quilt back 2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	859.0 KB
ID:	486631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joy Lynn2.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	591.2 KB
ID:	486632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kathleen5.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	602.8 KB
ID:	486633  
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM

have you looked at the extra wide backing fab? most stores carry it
Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM

I used to use the traditional added strip. These days I enjoy creating the back as much as I do the front. I almost always piece the back off center and I might use blocks, scraps left over from the front, contrasting fabric or whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I love the backs of my quilts and really enjoy creating the one of a kind backs that act like secret messages to my family and friends.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 PM

The few quilts I have done if I don't have enough backing I will improvise with left-overs from the front. I'm still a beginner but I have always somehow accidently came up with a nice backing, guess it's one of those beginners luck things.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It really depends on whether this will be quilted on a frame or not.

If quilted on a frame, the traditional method of splitting fabric so you have a large piece in the center and a piece on each side of the center is not good. This is because the seams starts to "pile up" as the quilt is rolled, creating bumps where the extra fabric of the seams are. In this case, it is better to have the seams running from side-to-side rather than the traditional up-down.

If quilted on a domestic sewing machine (or a sit-down longarm), which direction the seams run doesn't matter as the quilt is not rolled onto a roller as you quilt. Whatever looks good works!

Good to know! Thanks! My Avante is coming next week. I've been quilting on a Sweet Sixteen and love it, but sometimes just want a panto on my quilts, hence the additional machine. I'll be more careful in selecting backings.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Here are some graphics I made of some ways to piece backings.

Jan in VA
Jan, thanks for the great graphic. I've saved it to my Pinterest page so I'll be able to find it again when I need it.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 AM

This is what works for me, take 2 lengths of fabric {measure center of quilt top to bottom plus 6 inches} sew them into a tube. Press both seams open, match seams press in center line, cut on line. This will give you evenly spaced sides and a center panel. Hope this makes sense, it is a great method.