Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 questions about wall hangings >

2 questions about wall hangings

2 questions about wall hangings

Old 08-28-2014, 02:56 PM

I don't wash my wall hangings. I use the W&N batting, as it always hangs nicely. I have not had a problem with spots appearing on the work.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM

I have made a zillion wallhangings this is what I do. Never wash it and never use quilt batting. I use Pellons fleece. Nice and thin and stays perfectly flat. Find it at Joanns where the interfacing are displayed. Batting is soft and can cause a wavy project. Also, I usually use a good quality muslin for the backing. Why spend money on something that will always be against the wall?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM

I now have several ideas to try! Thanks!

i wonder what Pelltex is. I will surely look. It may make sense to try a few samples in the W&N, pellon, and pelltex to see how they behave. I am clearly very far from the "zillion wallhangings" category.

Maybe I can PM a picture to all of you who kindly shared your techniques. It will be next year, as I'm not very fast and have a few tops to utility quilt first. But I can start the embroidery now.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM

I have made many wallhangings over the years and never have washed them. They don't have any spots showing up, and have kept their shape nicely. I agree with Warm and Natural, or the fusible batting which is very thin. The PELLON​ batting is good too. I also make the sleeve the width of the wallhanging, minus about an inch or so.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM

If the quilt is rather small you might also put a rod pocket at the bottom so you could insert a small rod to make a pull on it to keep it straight.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Over the years I have found that using Warm & Natural cotton batting is the best choice for wall quilts as it holds it's shape, doesn't ripple, like poly batting. To me it's just a sturdier batting for wall hangings, plus it's also easy to machine or hand quilt. If you're worried about washing the quilt and then not having it be as smooth, press it, as that usually works.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Dix

My friend who does my long arm quilting, always uses double batting on wall handing. She says it hangs better!
And, I have always been happy with what she does!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM

If you are going to wash your wallhanging it will get that wrinkly look. It is best to wash your fabrics before cutting. Once your wallhanging is completed, dry clean. Dry cleaning will ensure it maintains that newly finished look.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I now have several ideas to try! Thanks!

i wonder what Pelltex is. I will surely look. It may make sense to try a few samples in the W&N, pellon, and pelltex to see how they behave. I am clearly very far from the "zillion wallhangings" category.

Maybe I can PM a picture to all of you who kindly shared your techniques. It will be next year, as I'm not very fast and have a few tops to utility quilt first. But I can start the embroidery now.

Hugs,
Charlotte
I am late to this party! I will sometimes use upholstery or drapery fabric for the back as it does help it hang betterand lately I have been skipping the quilting all together and stretching the piece over canvas for hanging.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2648[1].JPG
Views:	147
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	494408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2651[1].JPG
Views:	172
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	494409