Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for beginner please:  is this a good deal? >

Advice for beginner please: is this a good deal?

Advice for beginner please: is this a good deal?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 PM

I can't speak to the price on the machine, but based on the other stuff she lists, apparently costing $700, I wouldn't do it. What am I going to do with 2 ironing boards & 3 irons? I'm a quilter, not a knitter. I made my own large design board for about $25 with a piece of particle board from Home Depot & clearance fabrics from Joann. You can buy rolls of batting from Joann.com with a 50% off coupon most weeks of the year for about $200 per 40 yards x 90"W (less for smaller sizes). The other notions are not terribly expensive, so that leaves the fabric. I agree that buying new fabric at a quilt shop adds up. The only thing I would caution is to spend time going through the fabrics. I've never bought used fabric, but I've seen what other people bring home in those mystery boxes. Sometimes it is the most beautiful, pristine, 100% quilter's cotton made by some fancy designer that the person bought at a quilt shop and who knows why they gave up quilting. Much more often, though, it is a box of mostly duds with a few gems hidden in their midst. They might have poly-cotton blends, fabrics the seller herself bought at Goodwill, smoky fabrics, mildewed fabrics, fabrics covered in pet-hair, cheapy fabrics from Joann/HL... or most often, just fabrics that are old & ugly. There are estate sales pretty regularly where I live & often enough they will have 2-3 boxes of quilting fabrics/supplies so if you're mainly looking for that, I'd encourage you to do a google search for estate sales in your area (& check out the classifieds). Every once in a while you can strike gold with those sales & come home with a $15 box of the most beautiful designer fabrics plus a few other miscellaneous notions. One of my guild members makes a point take time every month to hit up some estate sales that advertise sewing items. It took her 7 months, but 6 weeks ago she brought back a extra large box of fabric that would make any quilter green with envy. She paid $35 for the whole thing.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I really don't know whether that is a good price for that machine or not. However, I do think that if you're looking for a new machine you should try out several different models of several different brands and pick one that you really like, rather than jumping at a possible bargain that just happened to come your way. After you've looked at different machines you can come up with a list of the features you really want in a machine - automatic needle down? built in walking foot? automatic needle threader? stitch regulator? knee control to lift presser foot? The list goes on. At least spend some time with this Pfaff to determine whether you like it or not.
I agree with dunster. Check out a couple of dealers in your area and come up with a list of the features that YOU like or think will help you succeed as a quilter. If you are willing to spend $500 on a used machine, perhaps there is a new machine that fit your desired specs and budget where replacement parts would not be an immediate concern. It's worth checking out. Don't jump on the first "deal" to come along.....research is the key to any good purchase. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 AM

Welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Click on the Advance Search that is located in the upper right corner of the header page and by entering the model number of the sewing machine to see what results you get. Welcome to the board!!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by got2ryd View Post
So I'm finding that my new hobby taken up while I can't ride my horses is *almost* as expensive as my horses. I cannot believe how much material costs! Yikes! Anyway, I found someone who is selling their "quilting workshop" as they describe it. I was mainly looking for material but this lot includes a Pfaff 7550. I've been sewing on a 20+ year old Babylock which I like (I think I like it, LOL, as I don't know anything different).

I was curious if anyone could give me any advice on this machine? The woman told me she had a local shop "rebuild and service" the machine last month and gave her a year (transferrable) warranty. Within the package, she's basically asking $500 for the machine. She said the machine was used for quilting. Other than the built in walking foot, would this machine suffice for beginner to intermediate-type projects? Does this seem like a fair price? I've Googled reviews on this machine and have only found a couple. I realize it's older....$500 still seemed a bit high?

Thank you for a newbie!!
As a beginning quilter, all you really need is a machine that does a good straight stitch---------------as in a $25 thrift store find. A higher end machine will not make you better. Only time and effort will.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 AM

I read the ad. She does not specify the amount of fabric. She might have 10 yards priced at $15 per yard or 200 yards priced at $1 per yard. If you are at all interested,I'd make an appointment to see what she has. Then decide
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 AM

I have two Pfaff machines and they are the best in my opinion for quilting, the build in walking foot that is the best as it moves the fabric as you go perfect 1/4 "seam. Love my Pfaffs
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 AM

For my $500, I would ask her to throw in a hour of instruction if you need it to get familiar with the machine.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Prism99;6871246]I did a search on this machine on eBay, for completed listings:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Sewing-Fabri...mplete=1&rt=nc

This looks like the machine that Nancy Zieman used for so many years on her Sewing with Nancy program until she went to Babylock.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 AM

I have a 7550 and I love it. It can do more than I can. As a retirement gift to myself I bought a Janome 11000SE wanted the embroidery option. I went back to piecing on my Pfaff - you just can't beat that integrated walking foot as far as I'm concerned.