Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if there were no more brick & mortar shops? >

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:13 AM

[QUOTE......
But in this age of "access" to almost anything via computer, has had its issues as well. People are not as connected to people , real live face to face interaction. to that point , classes are continuing to be a popular "social" learning experience. Most shops are surviving by their classes, this get people into the shops .. and we all know once there ... we find some fabric that must find its way home.
If shops disappear it would be very upsetting, I enjoy making an "occasion" out of my fabric shopping.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. There is so much more to a quilt shop than selling fabric. I try to patronize local shopping of various types, as that is part of "community". My LQS closed early this year and not a day goes by that I do not miss it. It will be a sad world when computers become our ONLY interaction, and not an additional option as they should be.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

People are not as connected to people , real live face to face interaction.

It's the same way my grandparents felt when tv was becoming the main entertainment for the family. They wanted to sit on the porch, talk and listen to the radio sometimes. I imagine our kids will be saying the same thing to their grands about how future trends is taking away the computer old ways. Nothing we can do about it but gripe.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 AM

I work part time in a quilt shop and we have many handmade items from other small businesses in the area. One lady loves to come in and look everything over to see if she can make it at home. One even asked if I knew how the rag quilt purse was put together. I made it and I said nope can't tell you. Maybe you should just buy it and study it at home. She did! Maybe I embarrassed her but these people are trying to sell something they made, not show you how to make it.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

The walmarts here have at least a dozen or more stores in strip malls built around them and they are doing great business. Most are specialty stores and boutiques type. The small business can be successful if in the right location and stay open past 4 pm and open all weekend. Most of the quilt shops I can drive to close at noon on Sat, closed Sundays and Mondays. Why even have a business if not to stay open when people shop?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 AM

I too think that there will always be brick and morter LQS shops especially in the bigger towns and cities. The closest one to me is about 35 min away. The prices are so high that I cannot afford to purchase what I want there and only go in if there is something very special I want and need or something I have seen and just have to have.
Pat
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 AM

I don't have anything near except Hancocks and Hobby Lobby. Even with those shipping is cheaper than gas. I am a care giver for my Mom, so it is very hard to get away. I am glad we have the internet shops.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 AM

I rarely buy fabric at my LQS, I cannot afford $11-15 a yard. I just wish that the price of fabric would go down to say $7-9 a yd, it would be better for my budget.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 AM

I am not comfortable with government intervention in situations that can be settled without it. I appreciate the non-governmental efforts that can settle those situations. Those non-governmental efforts often seem to have more and stronger positives (in cases like this one, for example) than simply throwing a law or regulations at something. Classes. Shop hops. Corporate affiliations; shops with sewing machine and/or fabric manufacturers. Teachers. Service (a really big plus for lqs). Lqs with online capabilities. Quilt shows. And I think the list will grow.

My vote is to stop government handling of projects, problems, issues, etc. that don't need government to handle them.

Pat
Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 AM

There are , within a 55 mile radius of my home, 10 LQS, 3 JoAnn,s, a Hancock's and at least 4 Walmarts......and I
still shop, at times, on-line. Why you ask? Well, one LQS stocks only her personal favorites which often don't match what I'm looking for.......6 LQS have exceptionally rude staff......Of the remaining choices, one does not sell fabric and with 6 of the others it's usually uncaring or "why are you bothering me" staff. So it would seem to me that perhaps some of the brick and mortars may be bringing some of their problems on themselves as opposed to blaming it all on the on-line vendors. Also, with the exception of one LQS, other LQS owners have marked their goods up to
as much as $13.99 a yard which I find extremely interesting since the one LQS I frequent most often has every pre cut imaginable, every popular fabric line, huge walls. of books, patterns, notions and the most delightful staff and their yard goods sell for $9.95 a yard and because of their accommodating staff their shop is never void of customers.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 AM

I never shop on line. I am one that enjoys touching the new fabric and talking to the employees who are always willing to help with problems.