Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in  the Chattanooga quilt show >

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 AM

I went two days to the Quilt Expo in Madison, WI. It was awesome. Good classes, free half hour mini classes, lots of vendors, and wonderful quilts. If you live close to the midwest this show is a must and it was much better than the one in Chicago in early summer/spring (which is AQS).
Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

The booth fees for big shows are way out of line in my opinion. It's like the quest quilters that use to be on Simply Quilts. Not many knew the guest had to pay to be on that show. If you paid you were on. If I remember right, the expense was around $3000 for one show. The idea was the quilter was advertising her book, pattern, etc by having exposure.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Initially I was surprised by how many quilts were not only not perfect, but not any where near perfect. These are not quilts that are being judged, they are there to be enjoyed - not only by the viewer, but by the maker who has put themselves out there and put their work on display.
I love this post! I feel the same way, there is something very reassuring and relaxing about realizing that perfection is not mandatory; a quilt can contain some mistakes and still be beautiful and cozy. Perfect quilts are really inspiring, imperfect quilts are really reassuring, and both help keep me fascinated with quilts and quilting.

As far as shows & expos go...funny, I was a little disappointed in a recent expo for the opposite reason...tons of vendors and hardly any quilts to look at! I think that was the first "expo" I had attended and I was expecting it to have more of a show element. But now I know the difference.

The quilt show my guild puts on every year has a good balance of vendors and quilts, I think. It's not a huge show but we get lots of local vendors and a few bigger ones, but it's mostly about the quilts. I love that show so much, to me there is something so powerful about seeing the work done by people in my own close community. (But then, I love the international show too, I also get inspired by seeing how universal quilting is.)
Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 AM

I enjoy going to quilt shows -- went to the Denver show last year and Des Moines the year before. My favorite is the Houston Quilt Festival -- that is the granddaddy of all shows. Their classes are fantastic and vendor mall is outstanding. Even our local quilt show is awesome but we have very few vendors. I like to see the new ideas and types of quilts I probably wouldn't attempt but I do come home inspired and ready to quilt!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM

I went to the AQS show in Phoenix in Feb. It was nice but not what I was expecting. I will stick to going to Lancaster and Hershey, PA. Close enough to drive to and just as nice.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I was somewhat disappointed. This was an AQS show and I was expecting much more like the other shows they put on. A lot of the vendors they usually get were not there. I did like the display of cow quilts. They were too cute.
Me too. Loved the cows! I loved the quilts that were displayed, but different from something someone else posted, I like to see some of the less intricate quilts as well. The quilts that were there were beautiful, but very professional. I didn't see much that looked like anything I could attempt. I love to get at least one or two ideas for my own quilts when I go. I thought the show was smaller than I expected, but I did enjoy it.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM

I tried to work out my schedule so that my sister and I could attend this show, but it wasn't in the cards; maybe next year. I have only been to one small one, up at Louisville, KY last year, and really enjoyed it as compared to Paducah (if you can do that). I am asking one of my sisters or cousins who live in LA and TX to watch for upcoming shows in those two states and we can make a really fun trip out of it, without having to use the tour bus deal.

From most of your comments, I would imagine that if AQS books Chattanooga next year, it won't be so good at all.
But then, you never know. We'll see.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The booth fees for big shows are way out of line in my opinion. It's like the quest quilters that use to be on Simply Quilts. Not many knew the guest had to pay to be on that show. If you paid you were on. If I remember right, the expense was around $3000 for one show. The idea was the quilter was advertising her book, pattern, etc by having exposure.
I did not know that!!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:10 AM

the show may not have been as great as previous shows. But, I have to wonder if most of it had to do with the economy and the cost for vendors. As for the Quilts, AQS shows have been predominately Modern and Art for several years. And yes--several vendors were in Atlanta and therefore could not afford to do both shows. As this was the first year in Chattanooga, many chose the veteran show in Atlanta

Blessed be
mickey
Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM

I wish there was a section reserved for hand quilted quilts and one for quilts that could actually be put on a bed. I love art quilts, but not a whole show of them.