Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me about the machines >

Tell me about the machines

Tell me about the machines

Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Another thing to consider is what you are planning to do with it. Are you just using it for basic sewing and piecing? Will you be using the decorative stitches regularly? Do you plan to FMQ? Then as the others have said, make a list of what features are most desirable, what feet are included in the package...then test drive as many as you can. It isn't just a matter of how much is costs but getting the your money's worth out of what you need/want.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:31 AM

I notice that no one had addressed your question about vintage machines, so I'll jump in. I have 6 Singer 221 Featherweights (ranging from 1939 to 1964), a Singer treadle (1936), and my Model 237 (1971). All work well. The vintage machines are mechanical, so no worry about electronic parts. They are all straight stitch, go forward and backward, and have no bells and whistles. My 1971 Singer has a zig zag stitch, and I thought I was big time when I bought it! A good working vintage machine is great for piecing, and many of them can be used for FMQ. The FWs don't have a large harp (or throat) space, so are better for smaller projects. Once nice thing about my FWs is that I can put one in the trunk of the car and leave it. I had one travel with me for over 9 months, through the heat of summer and the cold of winter, and each time I took it out to sew, it never missed a stitch. You can't do that with the newer machines. The FWs also only weigh 11 lbs. (about 14 lbs. in the case), so are great to take to classes, workshops and retreats if all you are doing is straight piecing. They make great second machines, just in case your main machine needs to go to the shop.

I have had a Bernina 440 QE for about 5 years, and it has 182 decorative stitches. It makes 4 different kinds of buttonholes and has a button foot to sew buttons on. It has the needle up/down feature, a knee lift, the variable speed feature, and the stop/start button. The needle plate is easy to remove, so I clear the lint out each time I change the bobbin, and the feet are very easy to change. The two options I would like to have, but don't, are the dual feed option and the thread cutter, but all in all I am happy with what I have. If it lasts me 38 years, like the Singer 237 did, I will leave it to my daughter in my will.

Last edited by mckwilter; 12-11-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM

Once you start on a manufacturer's website and see the progression of features that differentiate the machines, the rest of the sites will become easier. You might start listing the features that are beyond your Kenmore and start reading about them. Some will seem more important than others and will help you figure out what machines to try. Are you likely to want to do machine embroidery? That may help you, too. I'm not a fan of it, myself, but if I were, I'd be looking for the ones that do it best and sorting through them. If you have any physical limitations or see one coming down the road, there may be features that zoom to the top of the list. A lot of things that are comfortable to do for 10 minutes can become a major pain if you spend an afternoon at it.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Doghousemom is correct, it is more about what features you like require as each machine has different features, and different features might act differently. I also like pivoting feature, my laser for straight line sewing. I also love my penpal pen for sewing and embroidery. My absolute favorite on my machine other than the things doghouse mom mentioned is my muvit foot. It is dual feed but it is not built in like on many janomes, pfaffs, and some berninas. It has a differential feed which makes sewing everything a breeze especially really thick seams which many machines struggle with. There are so many things one might like in machines, but there are so many machines and brands on the market it may be hard for a person not familiar with the pros and cons of each to decide without trying them out. I know for me when I tried other brands at shows for classes that really made me see why I truly loved my brothers over other brands. I like it just for the user interface alone. Some people love IDT and others like accufeed, and some are justfans of a certain brand because they have been so successful with them they stick with it
Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM

When I bought my sewing machine 10 years ago, I visited with all the local dealers. Finding a dealer I liked was just as important as the machine and its features. If there are any problems, I know I can count on them to get it fixed quickly and fairly. I've taken lots of lessons and have learned so much from them!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:21 PM

Be sure to take your own quilting cotton with you to demo each machine.

The "cardboard like" "fabric" a lot of shops use to demo with is almost a sneaky trick: even horrible machines will sew a nice stitch on it.

Using permanent ink, write the brand and model number on each fabric as you play with each machine. Besides sewing two fabrics together/through, consider taking a pre-made sandwich (fabric-batting-fabric) with you as well.

I'd stay away from any dealer who doesn't want you to use your own fabrics.

Also be aware that if a machine isn't on sale, you can almost always make a deal for a lower price. Or just wait for a sale.

Good luck with your hunt! And have fun! If a machine isn't fun to sew on in the shop, it will be worse at home.

FYI ~ I have a Husqvarna 875 Quilt with all the bells & whistles including a thread cutter which is really useful: I love my machine.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Soo many factors of wants and needs. Difference in stitches, style shapes and sizes, type of sewing even leather and upholstery. Budget is also a factor along with space. What kind of service does the dealership provide if any. so many factors.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM

First thanks everyone for your responses, I think though I may have mislead you to thinking that I wanted info to buy a new machine, sorry about that. Really I just wanted to learn all the things I could about the machines, ya'll got my curiosity going reading your posts. I think I will take the suggestion and surf the manufactures sites. Thanks again for your knowledge and suggestions
Old 12-11-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by frogged View Post
First thanks everyone for your responses, I think though I may have mislead you to thinking that I wanted info to buy a new machine, sorry about that. Really I just wanted to learn all the things I could about the machines, ya'll got my curiosity going reading your posts. I think I will take the suggestion and surf the manufactures sites. Thanks again for your knowledge and suggestions
Researching the mfgr. websites is the best starting point. Save your gas money for when you have narrowed your list of machines to go see and test drive. Just visting a dealer will not give you the big picture of all the features they have.

Sandy
Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 AM

I just bought a Janome New Home JW7630 to use as a transition machine from my vintage machines to a new Viking I hope to purchase. Number of stitches never really interest me. I am more interested in the speed control, needle down, and the start/stop features. In 1976 I bought a brand new Viking for $1,000. It was a huge step up from the $159 Kenmore which I had used for about seven years to make all my clothes. That machine went to my sister and brother-in-law. I used my Viking for 30 years. Then I bought a 301A when I decided to quilt, and a new Singer (which I hated and sold cheap). Now that I am actually using a machine regularly, I am planning another move to a Viking. What I really need is more room.