Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not buying any new fabric !! >

Not buying any new fabric !!

Not buying any new fabric !!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 AM

If you are looking for things to do with the fabric that you no longer feel attached to (!), if you area has an adult school, a parks and rec program or church programs that teach sewing, you could consider donating some. They often teach younger people how to sew making simple projects or toys and really prefer cottons. If you want to sew small quilts (36 x 36) and do a simple cross hatch quilting, you can make a bunch, fold them and stuff in large plastic bags and donate to the police dept. and fire dept. They carry them in their vehicles to hand out to kids in trauma situations. For my daughter's girl scout troop's silver award, I worked with the girls and we made several dozen of these quilts thru the course of a year and donated them. It was incredibly rewarding and several of these girls have continued to sew.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM

I am working on a string quilt in order to use up a few scraps but I'm determined not to buy new fabric (no matter what discounts or free freight is offered) until I use up the layer cakes and 3 jelly rolls I purchased and just had to have in 2014.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM

I stopped buying fabric about a year ago when I realized my growing stash was making me anxious. I don't work as fast or as hard as I used to when I made all my own clothes -- retirement has made me lazy! -- and so having all that unused fabric has created an urgency and a demand on me that I don't enjoy. Now I buy what I need at the time I need it -- if it's not in my stash -- and resist -- or try to resist -- buying fabric just because I love it.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:10 PM

No guilt - No Shame. I love my scrap bins, and can always find whatever will work best for applique or a scrappy quilt. Don't beat yourself up, but now that you will have them organized, have fun with them
Old 02-04-2015, 03:11 PM

I've only been quilting since Oct. so I don't have a "real" stash of fabric. I only allow myself to buy enough fabric to do 2 no more than 3 quilts at a time ... and I don't buy more until those quilts are finished.

Also, IMHO, you don't have time to join a 12-step group because you need to be quilting up your stash. LOL

Last edited by Sharonquilts; 02-04-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Sorry "12-step group"
Old 02-04-2015, 04:33 PM

I too have huge stash & finally realized I cannot use it all up before I die or arthritis prevents me from sewing as much as in the past! Now that I have retired & fabric has gone over the roof in price I thank God I have that stash to work with! Doing very well in not buying anything new this year! I guess I'm now in recovery!! LOL
Old 02-04-2015, 06:00 PM

I hear you, I heard on a podcast American patch work that some times you have to go through your fabric some times and get rid of what your not using. I also only buy fabric if I'm wanting to do a certain color of quilt and the rest of the time stay away from buying fabric. Lately what I have been doing is making rags to clean with or wash rags for my children to use to bath with. That way the fabric is being used even if its not being quilted with.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Join us in the Fabric Moratorium thread - we really encourage each other to stay on the NO-BUY WAGON. It's hard sometimes. We are also quite good at coming up with rationalizations when one of us falls (or jumps) off the wagon.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...m-t259073.html
Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM

I am now getting worried at almost 74 years of age. I cannot sew fast enough. I have way too much!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Default 12step program

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I have a friend who is a hoarder. I have not understood why she buys and buys and her house is full as well as about 20 storage units. Now I do ! A shelf in my sewing room broke so DH needs to fix it. I have fabric stored in bins on the shelves and they are too heavy. I knew that I had FQ's, yardage and scrapes all mixed together so I figured I would clean the bins out. So far, I have gone through the red, green, brown, yellow and orange and the purple and turquoise fabric bins. I must have 500 FQ, about 50 Fat 8ths and three grocery sacks of scrapes to be cut up. Now that still leaves me the black and white, the patriotic, 2 bins of Christmas, 2 bins of children, 1 bin of mixed, one bin of floral and 2 very large bins of blue. None of these have solids in them, that is another area of the room. I think there is another bin, but I am afraid now to go into that room and check it out. I also have FQ's in the chest in the guest bedroom with all my charm squares. There has to be about 50-75 FQ of my Kaffe Fassett fabric as well as my Liberty of London Fat Sixteenth's. And believe it or not, all this except the chest are in my sewing room which is a small ex-bedroom. So now I am more than a little ashamed of all I have, I will never ever use up all my fabric. I have made a rule now that I will not buy any more fabric -other than the background or borders for my quilts. It comes at a good time as I have made all my family members quilts in their desired designs/fabrics and now I am free to use what I have. I am wondering if there is a 12 step group I can go to ?
I have the perfect answer to your problem....after trying desperately for years to start a prayer quilt group in my church, my DH encouraged me to do it myself. Well, I did it and I'm now a "one woman" prayer quilt ministry. As you know, fabric is very expensive soooo, to help you with your addiction, I am thrilled to take some of your stash off your hands! Just saying!!! Lol, good luck organizing. I have learned you can never have too much fabric. You never know when someone becomes gravely ill and could use a little comfort by way of a lap robe or quilt!