Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Large Print fabric what to make???? >

Help! Large Print fabric what to make????

Help! Large Print fabric what to make????

Old 06-27-2015, 03:11 PM

One Block Wonder
Old 06-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

IMHO the fabric would be a perfect fit for a One Block Wonder or Kaleidoscope quilt.

With so much fabric, you probably have enough to do one side in the One Block Wonder of Kaleidoscope ... and then back it with the fabric, as is.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM

Take a look at the BQ pattern at Maple Island Quilts. It has large squares that are perfect for a large, feature print like yours. You could then use the same fabric for the back to coordinate and it would look reversible.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:15 PM

Default Help! Large print fabric what to make????POSTED AGAIN SORRY

Sorry I am posting again the same question as I wanted to add a photo to the other post,but didn't know how...sorry about that..

I really don't want to cut this fabric as you can see how big the print is and I do like it...I think cutting it up and sew it back together would lose something of the fabric..

Belfrybats i do like the quilt on connecting thread you posted with the 10 inch block and the sashing and I like the panel idea but may have some trouble figuring that one out..

MaureenNJ thanks for the heads up on sewing three panels together instead of the two, that makes more sense to me with a full center panel and two half panels on each side.. I may go with that one..

I did pull some fabric that may
go with this fabric and I took a picture of the fabric with a 12 inch square on it so you can see how big the design on the fabric is...also it is laying on our king size bed so you can see how wide the fabric is, the kids only have a queen so this may work with the half panels on each side, and a boarder..Thanks again for your help

if anyone else has any more ideas I would love to hear from you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	523667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	523668  
Old 06-27-2015, 05:33 PM

This is yelling, "Whole cloth quilt!? Cut a medallion the width of the fabric by whatever length you want and start adding coordinating borders until you get it to the size you want. Then use the leftovers from the medallion to make the last border. WOW! What a gorgeous quilt it will be! froggyintexas
Old 06-27-2015, 06:05 PM

Be sure to prewash decorator fabric! It shrinks about twice as much as regular cotton. I would also use 3/8" seam allowance. I have a jacket I made with decorator fabrics using 1/4" SA, and it came apart in several places. Just food for thought.

It's very beautiful fabric! Good luck with your project.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I like a large scallop or large drunkard path.

Here is what came up when I googled.
https://www.google.com/search?q=larg..._AUoAg&dpr=1.1
Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 PM

How about a kaliedoscope. The numerous patterns will be very exciting and then using a piece of fabric as a border to show what the kaliedscopes came from.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I think you could make an amazing kaleidoscope quilt with this.
That was my first thought. I would stack it and whack it.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:43 AM

I agree..beautiful fabric and large blocks like 10" with sashing of solid color would be nice. In regard to stash, instead of using an idea I just see, I always try to fit my ideas to my stash. I hate having to go out and buy fabric because I have a pretty large stash. I used to work in the fabric department of Hobby Lobby and I only bought fabric when it got to rock bottom prices like $3 or $4 a yard. I still feel that way. I only shop in the clearance section for fabric. I find I am most creative when I look at all this fabric and envision making it into something nice. I seldom uses patterns just like to make up my own. I do more bags/totes and placemats or wall hanging than anything else. When I do a quilt, I do sometimes have to add fabric but only as a last resort...LOL..I am retired so I don't like for my hobby to dig into my pocketbook too much.