Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I add more quilting?  Looking for suggestions. >

Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure what your expertise is, but I might put a little something in the blocks. Maybe research some shapes related to the subject. I recently did one with dolphins all over the main body and waves on the borders.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:28 AM

A agree with less quilting --- but if you want to add a little more another thought would be to do a diamond shape in each square with the oval in the middle.....that would be quick and easy.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:14 AM

I like it the way it is but with it being for a kid I might put in a little more, especially if you didn't SITD around the ovals. I agree a simple single echo, either of the block edges or of the ovals would do the trick and give a little more structure without making things too stiff.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

love the bright bold colors. Like they say less is more. Just what is suggested by the batting instructions. have seen many quilts with dense quilting, they can almost stand by themselves.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM

If the blocks are 9" and the batting requirements are 8", then you do need more quilting in the areas around the ovals/trucks. That 8" requirement means in all directions. Even just a a straight line echoing the edge of the block will help to secure that batting. I try to think about how the quilt will be used....a quilt that won't get washed much doesn't require as much quilting as one that could get washed every week....the more batting is washed, the more it might shred, bunch or shift (think old comforters and how the batting ends up in one corner).
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM

If you feel you need more stitching to hold it down (dragging around and mulit washing) why not make rays coming out from the middle of the ovals?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I prefer more quilting, and it does NOT make the quilt non-cuddly or stiff. I suspect that people who think this have not actually had the opportunity to handle a quilt with more quilting. However - you have met the quilting requirement for your batting within the blocks (I can see in the picture that you did quilt, very nicely, around the ovals in the center) so it is entirely your choice. I do think you need some quilting in the sashing, since it is 2"x9", and that 9" line is more than the 8" recommended by your batting.

And that is one cute quilt!!!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
With baby/kids quilts it's a balancing act: less quilting is snugglier, but it also allows the batting to bunch or shift from rough use. Personally I would get a rainbow variegated thread and do a line of quilting 1" in from the sashing. I think this would avoid quilting over the applique. I would go edge to edge, over the sashing and thru the blocks (to Great Auntie's quilt we go...) Remember that the 8" measurement is in every direction. If you measure the blocks diagonally, are they less than 8?
Very cute quilt!!
I think this is a great idea.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks to everyone that commented about my quilting question. I'm leaning toward not adding any more but still can change my mind. I do appreciate every suggestion it's just that I'm thinking anything more might distract from what's there.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 PM

I have glaucoma so I may not be seeing all I should, but to me it needs more quilting. It just looks loose. Lovely quilt otherwise.