Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question? Using Poly/Cotton Fabrics for Quilts >

Question? Using Poly/Cotton Fabrics for Quilts

Question? Using Poly/Cotton Fabrics for Quilts

Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM

welcome from MN! Post somepictures, we love pictures!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM

I inherited some blends and I like them unless I'm ironing them. They have a distinct odor and it's not my favorite. I use them sparingly and keep some for kids to practice with.

Bearisgray is right about the variation in grades. Some are difficult to tell apart from 100% cottons unless there are loose threads...they have a stretchy, plastic feel...or you can just iron them and tell. Others feel super slick to the touch or very rough.

I wouldn't combine in a quilt unless it's the higher quality because I prefer the textures matching and like high quality items. I don't like working with low end fabrics at all. Fabric snob alert :D
Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM

Hi Karen, you got lots of good replies! I agree, use them if you like them as far as color, print etc...I notice my tastes change over time, so if you got these 30 years ago, do you still have the same likes and dislikes.

Here are some uses I don't think were mentioned:

I know there are people who like to use those poly blends for dog blankets/quilts and using batting scraps sewn together for inside, to donate to animal shelters. Or they make quilts out of them to donate to homeless shelters...those poly blends are more durable, especially for homeless people who can't take good care of their blankets for obvious reasons. With the economy as bad as it is, there are more homeless now!

sue
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM

What is "scrim"? :?:
Old 10-21-2015, 02:37 PM

This is a really helpful post. I am making a wall hanging and I can not find the perfect shade of green in 100% cotton, but I found it in a poly/cotton blend. I am going to use it! Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 PM

I have used some cotton blend fabrics in quilts with no problem. But I had to turn down the heat on my iron when pressing seams.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Poly blends are great for kids drag around quilts! They hold up to lots of use & laundering. Great travel, camping, picnic, fort building, playing on quilts-- they don't fade like cotton and wear well, last a long time. ☺
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM

Sometimes I have only been able to find the color I want in a poly blend so I use it. No one has complained about any of the quilts I have made and they are still asking for more. I do not iron seams nor pre-wash fabric.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I just never thought of this topic much. I was taught back in the Olden days (mid 80s) to use 100% cotton. Back then, Polyester thread or fabric was taboo. From what I understand from those days, was that polyester fabric was stronger and would wear out the cotton. It did with one of the first quilts I made that the polyester thread chewed right thru the cotton. Toss that quilt and learned a lesson the hard way. Now a days, I do occasionally use a Poly thread from Superior just because it is easier to use than those metallic threads. I do cringe as I am quilting.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Our pioneer families did not have ploy/cotton fabric for quilts. I wonder how ploy/cotton fabric is made?