Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My question on pp >

My question on pp

My question on pp

Old 02-14-2016, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I stitch over the line a quarter inch and use my tie off feature at each end. I have had problems with stitches pulling out when you pull off the paper so the tie off prevents that.

Kninette...thanks for that info.....

oh oh another oops! I did.....have to remember which way to lay fab before cutting...in this pattern like spokes...thin at top, widening to other edge......cut two "backwards,
which did not help my mental confusion....now I have to remind myself....is it print of pattern to print of fabric for correct cut.......like "right sides together". Wonder who invented this process...
And NO to the nth degree...I will never do a Neimeyer (sp) pattern..that is definitely out of my patience range!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Since you already have Carol Doak's books and DVD, I would strongly suggest that you go back to them. She is an excellent teacher and your directions are usually very clear, so I'd go back to the drawing board, so to speak; it doesn't hurt to refresh our memories from time to time. Unfortunately, I have to do it all the time with my Sr. Moments. LOL
Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 PM

love pp 90% quilts that I make is pp and yes I chain piece all the time I can have four quilts going at once. Just keep at it you will get better and better. With Carol Doak's you got a good start.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

My last attempt at pp was starting out fine, and all I was concerned about was making sure I cut the next piece big enough to cover the next space. I couldn't understand why when I was doing that, and then sew it that when I bent it over it didn't cover all of it I finally figured out, because I didn't like it up with the precious edge correctly. That is the only way I know how to explain it. Once I got that straightened out, and before sewing it, flipped it over to make sure, I was ok. Then I had fun. I used my seam ripper several times, but it was worth it.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:30 PM

I too love, love, love PP. It's my favorite way to make a quilt. I've done lots of Judy N. patterns and while I find them very complicated to follow her cutout directions I love how complicated they look. They are simple to put together and connect. I also have gotten in the habit of not only sewing a little beyond the line, I back-sew and never have trouble ripping the paper off or loosening the stitch line.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I have only made a few small pieces for my practice, but I would like to work on a bigger full size block. I guess I will go slowly with it so hopefully it will turn out decent.

I hope someday some one starts a paper piecing swap again that I might join in order to push my self a bit. There use to be one where it seems like they were doing some paper piecing sometimes even wonky piecing, and other themes, but it looked fun. I didn't know enough then to join in. I am still practicing now, but I am getting it a bit better.

Each time I finish one and it looks decent I feel so proud of it.

I don't mind so far when it comes to pulling the paper off. I know that some of you that do a lot of pp look for simpler ways of doing your papers and either pulling them off or using the freezer paper method. I don't think I could attempt that method until this regular one I began becomes easy to me.

I started with the basic paper piecing book by Carol Doak, and it had the heart pattern, and some pages in it to use.
Then I have looked at many videos and will save the ones that more clicked for me.

I have learned as a beginner to sew past the line a couple of stitches, and also if I do a back stitch it helps when I go to pull of the paper.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:16 AM

you can chain pp. Peggie Martin has a class on Craftsy called strip piecing. Check it out. It will help you like pp better.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:59 AM

Thanks to all for comments/hints. The pic of the ONE block is posted in pictures. 'Nuff said!