Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Specific explanation, please. >

Specific explanation, please.

Specific explanation, please.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 PM

I have a UFO quilt which is waiting for me to work out how to trim the borders to go on the centre section. It has to be 91/2" deep and 49 long. It is an appliqué border and I'm worried I've made the appliqué too deep. I've even done the corner stones. It just needs cutting to size and a backing put on and then shadow stitch round the appliqué. Sooooo easy to say but sooooo difficult to do, so it will remain a UFO.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:36 AM

I think you need to get all of your quilting "stuff" in one place and then you can make some decisions. There is no law that says you must finish everything that you ever started. It really is ok to re-purpose, down size, change or gasp give away things that no longer bring you joy. Sometimes projects seemed like a good idea at the time but now you just have no interest in ever finishing them and do not want to invest any more money or time on them. Gently say good-bye and bundle them up with any remaining fabric and the instructions and give them to your local quilting group and I'm sure someone will finish them and find a home for your "outgrown" treasures.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:44 AM

I agree with zozee. Give some of those UFOs to a thrift store and you will feel a sense of freedom. Then you can see your way clear to moving on. Someone will purchase a "bag of fabric" and will be thrilled with the find.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Anything that has been started, but then left sitting because I got interested in something else.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand why it is your son's business to decide when you can have your quilting projects. If you want the projects then hire someone to go with you to get them from the warehouse so you can decide which ones you will work on and which ones can go in the donation pile.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

What in the world. I must be missing something about the son controlling your projects? I agree about the pins and since you are the quilter you get to decide what you want to work on, I would think.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
UFO's are quilts in progress.
I agree. I am really bad at getting bored with a quilt and putting it aside. Trying really hard to finish up the quilts for charity since our church group leader saw the need and bought a long arm. Unfortunately, her husband won't let her use it since he is finding quilting way too much fun. Aren't we lucky!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z View Post
Define UFOs for me because I am still confused. Is it when you have found the perfect piece of fabric for a certain pattern and will start it sooner than later? All the fabrics together?
These are PIGS - projects in grocery sacks
Old 02-27-2016, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your help. Your offer sounds good but my own son will be wanting something one of these days so he will do it eventually. Warehouse is quite a ways away. I am just finishing up 2 smaller pieces so I am whittling it down a bit.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM

He would probably like to but no. He tried to lay down the law about no more shoes, sewing machines or bowls but he doesn't say much and the only thing he does notice is a heavy sewing machine once in a while. My bedroom is all full of stuff and he doesn't like the "clutter". He knows I am overloaded but I can make a deal with him.