Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist! >

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 AM

Great topic! I have way more quilt projects than are storable or mentally comfortable for me to keep track of at the present time. (I stopped counting after twenty!) It was interesting to read other's comments about needing standing time, or sitting time, or cutting or piecing or hand-work time as reasons to have multiple projects going on simultaneously. They all contribute to the reasons we have UFO/WIP/PHD or whatever you choose to call them. (I think we need to come up with a new acronym incorporating ALL of these letters!)

These comments got me to thinking: in an IDEAL WORLD, what would I want my quilting "to do" list to look like and this is what I came up with:

1 applique project; in progress
1 quilt sandwich; ready to be quilted
1 top; ready to pin
1 BOM; in progress
1 kit; ready to work on
1 pattern; ready to find fabrics
1 piecing project; in progress

After compiling my list, what surprised me, is that even adhering to a preset plan, it is lengthy and I could have easily added others without much effort. This made me realize that, at least for me, "it is what it is" and I need/want to just keep plugging along as best I can, because the reason I took up quilting in the first place is for enjoyment of the process. Creativity doesn't always fit into a nice neat little box (although if it did, I think an Altoids tin to store ALL my projects would be the perfect size!)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 AM

Well when I moved, I actually got all my UFOs in one place and I have completed about 10 of them. The sorry part is I have about that many still to finish. Along with three I just had to start. Well I must get back to them things that I call UFOs.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:03 AM

Ducking my head in shame...lol. I have more UFO's than I want to count. Ditto with the WIP. I'm a hand quilter and it takes so looong to get one finished that I frequently have to put it aside to do something else. Sometimes it's a while before I get back to it. I had to put aside a quilt that I'm quilting for a guest room when I suddenly thought I had to make two wedding quilts. Did get those finished in time but my poor guest room quilt had to wait. I have several leaders and Enders projects going. That's my story... I do have a goal to finish several of them this year and I'm sending one top off at a time to be machine quilted. Getting there. Do plan to start more quilts this year too...
Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 AM

I have recently completed 4 UFOs that for various reasons had not been finished. I think that my biggest 'reason' for having UFOs is that I LOVE to start quilting projects. There is soooo much excitement when I am planning the design and shopping for fabric; that is my favorite part about crafting quilts. But I also love the sense of accomplishment when a quilt is done and that is what helps to keep my UFOs in check. I have tried over the years, with varying degrees of success, to limit the number of projects I start and not to allow myself to begin something new until some of the WIP are completed. I have even made "deals" with myself that I had to finish certain projects before I was allowed to buy any new fabric or patterns. That has helped to keep my house from exploding from too many projects and aids me in not buying every piece of fabric that I fall in love with at the shop.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I don't even want to think of my UFO's because I'll get depressed. Right now I have 6 sets of placemats made, but they need to be sandwiched and quilted, 12 strawberry appliqued mug rugs (for a Strawberry Festival June 25)), 3 table runner to sandwich and quilt, I have the blades made for a king size Dresden Plate quilt for DS and DDIL, a large tree skirt top (will finish after the Strawberry Festival), 5 baby quilts, 2 of which are for twins that are probably a month old already, another quilt for the daughter of a dear friend, she will probably be a year old before it's finished, as it's applique and pieced (what was I thinking?) and the list goes on, including quilt blocks sent to me by a SIL in Ohio, all embroidered state birds - the kicker is that she said "no hurry" (that's the worst thing someone can say to me), and the list goes on. In all fairness to my UFO's, two years ago I had a torn rotator cuff repair, then almost exactly a year ago next month, I had a complete shoulder replacement, so for 2 years I was not able to quilt very much at all. I started recovering, when I took a series of 6 falls in 2 months, with hospitalization and 2 months of rehab. Now I finally start feeling better and I tore the rotator cuff in my other shoulder. JOY!! The Dr. didn't recommend repair surgery, which I agree with, but to go ahead and get the new shoulder, as he said I didn't need 2 surgeries, and the shoulder replacement had a faster and easier recovery. That said, I will wait as long as possible for the replacement, but right now I can still do several hours of sewing/quilting, so I'm concentrating on the Strawberry Festival where I can make some "mad money" to buy more fabric. LOL.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:57 PM

I think we should all stop beating ourselves up about UFO's,WIP's or whatever we called those projects that we've lost interest, needed to set aside for something else, etc. As a retired school counselor, the more students I was working with, the more classes I was teaching, the more special projects I had going--whether in the planning or the implementing stages, the better job my principal and district supervisor thought I was doing. So based on that, with the number of quilt projects in various stages, I'm a SUPER QUILTER AND SO ARE YOU!!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:36 PM

I only have UFO's when my Mom 'request' a baby quilt for a new great grandbaby. Then it's stop what you are doing and work on that. Then I have lost my momentum and interest on whatever I was working on and start something new. Seems to be a vicious circle right now.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:48 AM

This site is what gets me in trouble! I can be working away on my project and I open up Quiltboard , read all the ideas and check show and tell. I see something that that catches my eye that I just have to try then I am off on another Project! I guess you could say I can't stay focused on just 1 thing at a time!!!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

I get bored working on one project at a time. I am currently working on three quilts and have an idea for another. Plus all the UFO's I have. Some of the projects are ones that I started a while ago and were set aside for one reason or another.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 AM

ok...ok...ok....I have five!!! One is going to be just a summer quilt (no batting), one is for DH that is about throw size, and one that is all dark scraps and sewn on the diag.sq's, (I'm anxious to get this one done because I kinda like it) and two crappy quilts....oops...forgot the 's'! But this Friday(???) I should receive my Bailey!!!!.....so excited! And I put off doing the quilts because I dreaded doing them on my DSMs even though I have a H-Viking 830 with the wider throat. I think I just didn't want to face pushing all that material through it. So I finally wore DH down...and BTW....Idon't buy anything that pricey without letting him know....I wouldn't like it if he did it to me...M A T E R I A L however....wellllll... that's another story!!!! Like they say....he let's me buy as much as I can hide!!!