Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist! >

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:30 AM

I have several completed tops that need to be finished. Since I don't care much for the sandwiching process, I usually wait until I have nothing else to work on to finish the quilts. Once the tops are sandwiched, I enjoy the quilting and even the binding process.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 AM

My first quilt, one that my mother had started in the 1930's or 40", and I put together and started to hand quilt in the 70's, is still unfinished. The cat used it as a hammock while on the quilting frame, broke the frame, and the quilt was put away. Then came 3 kids. I never liked the colors on the quilt and now it has yellow stains, so I'm not too motivated to put a lot of work into it if the stains won't come out. It is an antique before it is done! I also have a cathedral window that is 3/4 done. I am currently working on enlarging a full size quilt to queen size. A baby quilt is in the works (needs to be done by June)and I've been working on Grandmother's flower garden for 4 years (completely hand pieced and quilted). I work on it while watching TV and on road trips. I think there also is a partially done kit that someone gave me. Always something to do. When I get tired of one, I move on to the other. They will eventually get done!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Yes, mine are starting to accumulate too. I have a baby quilt for a niece's baby, which is actually my current project and is sitting on an unused bedroom floor with layers that need to be pinned. 2) My 2012 (?) Craftsy BOM is waiting for a particular color (crimson) for sashing 3) a scrappy log cabin, that I work on when I need a break from other projects, 4) a gold & white LeMoyne star that I started on one sewing machine, which died...when I moved to a new sewing machine the 1/4" wasn't the same and now I'll need to work some magic 5) a 2013 (?) Craftsy BOM, which has been quilted and now needs to be trimmed and bound, 6) purchased a pretty top at a sale....I am working on the backing 7) HST with lights & darks, started for a boyfriend, who is no longer a boyfriend so it isn't a priority....to my benefit, these are projects for me.....gifts for others have taken precedence and my last project was for my sister's birthday in March, and it was finished and mailed on time.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I prefer to say I'm working on my PHD - projects half done.
I love this! I may have to start using that.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 PM

I've started finishing some projects lately. I recently had a quilt top quilted for me by friend. The top has been done for 5 years. It's a scrappy I made for our bed. I had another quilt top done. It was supposed to be for friend of our last year in April for his birthday. It's now at my friend's being quilted. I've just finished a king sized scrappy Irish Chain quilt top and am working on piecing some fabric together for the back. It will go to my friend when she gets the other one done. I like the designing and piecing of the tops but not the quilting part. I'm so glad my friend has a quilting machine now. When I get them all done, I will post pictures.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I prefer to say I'm working on my PHD - projects half done.
Brilliant! I'm adopting this. It seems so much more promising than UFO or WIP.

I have used most of the excuses everyone else mentioned and then some. I just like chasing the next "sparkly". If I get some special incentive, such as a new grandchild on the way, I can stick to a quilt and get it done well before the deadline, but for many the attraction wears off after awhile. I get back to them eventually. If I wait long enough and then come across them while digging around, sometimes the original appeal is reawakened, or I have been inspired by an idea for improving them some way, such as with a different border than originally planned. A stray block will become part of a bag or sewing machine cover, that sort of thing. There is progress, but slow at times.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 PM

Well we must all belong to the same cult.......or our minds are working overtime...just can't keep up
Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 AM

I didn't use to have UFO's but as I have progressed in my quilting I have started making more complicated quilts and sometimes I put will put one aside and work on a similar easy one. I also like to have one starting (cutting the pieces) as I am quilting another one. That way I will be ready to go on the new one. The cutting of the pieces is the hardest part for me. I only have one UFO right now that is hanging in the closet. It needs to be quilted and I know I will do a lot of quilting on it. I just haven't wanted to start it. I will some day.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:48 AM

When I started piecing I said I would not start a new project until I finished the one I was working on. That idea lasted just a few months. I made a quilt top for my nieces graduation last year. I put it away and now started to look for it when I found out it was an April 30(!) graduation date. I could not find it! It was right where I thought it was but had gotten pushed back on the shelf. It is now ready to be mailed! I actually like UFO's in case I need a gift I was not expecting.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am a Gemini and I get bored easily. I work on numerous quilts at one time. Sometimes it is because I need additional fabric to finish the top but I am getting more UFOs done than started.
Boy do I relate to that! Sometimes I have something stitching out on the emboidery machine while I'm, FMQ-ing a quilt, and when I get up to walk around, I am always thinking of my next 3, 5 , or 10 quilts! I don't see it as a handicap, I see it as a blessing...when something is frustrating me, I can go to something less stressful...and back and forth...I often have several projects going at the same time...I have a lot more time time in the winter to actually quilt a quilt, so I tend to do my cutting and piecing on tops in spurts during the summer when time allows...when fall hits, I have my tops lined up and ready to go!
We all have different ways, but we all make quilts...we can't beat ourselves up because we don't go from point A to B in a linear fashion...we need to all accept how we are and accept that we are all different..but we ALL make gorgeous quilts!