Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your notions in? >

What do you carry your notions in?

What do you carry your notions in?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:38 AM
mac

Just thought that I would mention that I can keep my cutting mat in my car, even in the summertime, without fear of it warping.

I brought my cutting mat that I use frequently to the lumber yard/hardware store and found a piece of thin 1/4" plywood and asked that it be cut into 2 pieces the exact size as my cutting mat. I use the largest black binder clips that you can get at the dollar store or stationary store and sandwich the mat between the two boards and clip the boards closed on all four corners as well as a clip in the middle of the two longest sides with the giant binder clips.

This keeps my cutting mat flat and takes away the worry that your mat will warp in the car, no matter how hot it gets.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 AM

I have a yellow colored flat "tackle" box thingie that has divided compartment and a handle. I find it is great as I keep my stuff in there so it is always ready to go! Bought it a Harbor Freight but I think they have it Walmart andmany other places.

Storehouse 93928 20 Bin Portable Parts Storage Case

20 Bin Medium Portable Parts Storage Case on sale for $8.99 at Harbor Freight

Item #93928
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 AM

I use cosmetic bags. They are the perfect size for rotary cutters, scissors & so forth. At home, I keep my thread in clear plastic containers (Talenti gelatto). I usually just grab a couple of spools to take with to a class, but if I'm not sure what all I'll want, I'll grab the containers, my cosmetic bags, fabric & whatever else I need & place them all into a fabric grocery bag.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 AM

I have seen a lot of cute patterns to make for notions but I have never made one. I have never been to a class or anything like that so I really don't need one. I like Tessagin's idea. Lay your notions out & design one to suit your needs. Great idea!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:26 AM

I use the exact same storage system that Plano (marketed to crafters as Creative Options) makes in pink and blue:
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-1363...storage+sewing

but in the neutral colors which is 30% cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding...=plano+storage
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 AM

We bought new kitchen appliances this year, and the company we bought from said we can keep any interior accessories before they carry away our old appliances. I kept the dishwasher cutlery rack with a carrying handle, and it fits into my sewing machine rolling case, perfectly nestled in beside my sewing machine in its plastic case. I store all my "stuff" in this cutlery caddy, whether I'm at home or heading out with my machine. It sure works for me!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 AM

a clear large pencil box from Target, Walmart, or Staples. It snaps shut. I can put it on top of my machine when I pack it in it's rolling case- so all my stuff is in one place. I also have another clear pencil box under the passenger front seat of the car, with "other" things I could need, it stays there.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 AM

I made mine it is a practice free motion piece to start with and then in the middle just sewed some clear plastic bags with sliders and I did use several sizes I get a lot of comments on it
Old 07-06-2016, 12:41 PM

With my sewing machine case and cutting mat I wanted something small and soft sided for all my accessories so I purchased (Tuesday Morning, and it was pretty cheap) a quilted travel accessory "tote". It is small, soft sided, and has lots of plastic dividers in the middle with larger sections on left and right side.
karensue
Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 PM

Like several others I use the Bionic Gear bag. It holds a lot in a fairly compact and very secure way when it is zipped shut. I love the way it opens up for ease of grabbing stuff. I keep mine loaded with all the stuff I use everyday. Right now it has all of the needles for all of my machines, enough medium and large quilting safety pins to baste a king sized quilt, my rotary cutters, scissors, marking tools (disappearing purple markers, white chaco chalk pen style dispenser, soap slivers, hera marker), an entire box of those clover clips, a box of flower head pins, a box of glass head pins, two different pin cushions with pins, a tape measure, my machingers (2 pairs), purple thang, seam ripper, tweezers (straight and bent tip), 3 screw drivers, a magnetic picker upper, a flashlight, oil for my machine, etc. Obviously when I go to a class I empty out a lot of that stuff and only take what I'll use in order to lighten the load.

It stays next to whichever machine I'm sewing on, whether in my studio or out traveling. Plus it's a lot of fun to make. It won't do you any good for this class, though because it takes a while to make. Just an idea to keep in mind for future classes.

I'd suggest that you use whatever you have on hand that can secure your supplies so they don't get lost when you are transporting them and also bring something that you can put them in that is fairly open and will keep them visible and easy to grab once you get there, but will help keep them from wandering away or falling off the table where you are working-- I used old checkbook boxes, or coffee mugs, etc. for that purpose before I made my bionic gear bag. If you need to take a cutting board or ironing surface and iron then a good sturdy tote bag is a handy thing to have as well.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Last edited by rryder; 07-06-2016 at 02:47 PM.