Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt >

Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt

Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt

Old 08-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Glad you found a solution. Are you doing the binding too? I would still say something when you return them & strongly suggest they wash the quilts before gifting. I also think you are right to work with an 'official' QOV group.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would return them to the coordinator - with an explanation.

However, I would not say "these things smell" - even if they reek - because that puts people on the defensive.

You could say something like "My allergies started to act up when I opened the bag - there must be something in the fabric that is really bothering me - could you return these to the makers so they could wash them in a fragrance-free, hypo-allergenci detergent, press them, and then I would be happy to long arm them."

And stress that these tops MUST be washed/ironed or pressed/threads clipped before you will touch them.

You might also tell them because of your allergies/health that you have to be careful about what you can work on.
this is excellent advice . I think it's pretty important to work with the project coordination both because they deserve the chance to find a solution that works for everyone and to prevent the same problem in the future.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 AM

I wouldn't wash them, I'd be afraid they would bleed
Old 08-28-2016, 03:05 AM

I don't understand why one can't wash them?! If it were me, there's no way they would stay inside my walls smelly and making me gag! I had an acquaintance who asked me to fix a blanket she used for her grieving when her foster dogs would expire. The blanket looked pretty hopeless - and the smell was something I couldn't tolerate!! She'd had it for many years, many tears shed, many animals cuddled in it with her and NEVER washed it! Egads! You better believe once I had it in my possession, it was washed on a gentle cycle and air-dried for several days! My motto, if it can't be washed, it doesn't belong in my home!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am in the cranky pants group -

send it back with "regrets" and not make myself ill over the stuff.

If the people get their undies in a bunch - so sad, too bad.
i second this. somebody palmed dirty, smelly tops off onto the group. who cares about her feelings when she is was obviously so inconsiderate of others'?
somebody [else] passed that problem on to you, rather than doing the right thing, which would have been to give them back to the "donor." so who cares if she's offended?
and who wants to be a part of a group that condones bad behavior? so if the group got all wrapped around the axles instead of backing you up, i'd say phooey on them, too.

of course, all that is hypothetical since you never said anything to anybody.

you might actually be very helpful to the group as a whole if you let them know what happened - including the seams that came apart. they can't fix problems they don't know about. no need to mention names; just pass on general information you got from the QOV rep. save them the embarrassment of having a whole pile of donation quilts sent back by QOV HQ because they weren't up to snuff.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i second this. somebody palmed dirty, smelly tops off onto the group. who cares about her feelings when she is was obviously so inconsiderate of others'?
somebody [else] passed that problem on to you, rather than doing the right thing, which would have been to give them back to the "donor." so who cares if she's offended?
and who wants to be a part of a group that condones bad behavior? so if the group got all wrapped around the axles instead of backing you up, i'd say phooey on them, too.

of course, all that is hypothetical since you never said anything to anybody.

you might actually be very helpful to the group as a whole if you let them know what happened - including the seams that came apart. they can't fix problems they don't know about. no need to mention names; just pass on general information you got from the QOV rep. save them the embarrassment of having a whole pile of donation quilts sent back by QOV HQ because they weren't up to snuff.
I'm sure there's a recommendation page on the QoV website that can be printed off for distribution.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Just hang them outside on the line for a few days. It's amazing what a few days in the breeze can do. I'd start there before doing anything more aggressive with them.

Or send them back and let the donor air them out first!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

The original poster washed them - which would not bother me too much -

but ironing/pressing a quilt top after it has been washed - UGH!!!!! It's enough of a chore to do it properly while it is being assembled.

I got the impression that these were not going to be sent to the Quilts of Valor organization - ???

Does not matter where they are going to be donated, I think that the quilts should still be clean and odor free (including strong fragrances from soaps and dryer sheets) when they arrive at their destination.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:21 PM

I would sent them back, I would not want to wash someone's quilts. Maybe this person really can't small and needs to be told they smell too bad for you to work on so she is a bit pickier about the fabrics she uses.

Tough decision.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45 AM

I have an outdoor clothesline where I have hung some a friend made that smelled like a dirty ashtray. She wanted to put them in a show. It took a few days of good fresh air, but it did finally get the smell out.