Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM

I don't accumulate many magazines but do have a small box of the ones that I don't want anymore. I've had them in a box in my sewing room for about 6 months now & don't know what to do with them. I can't bring myself to throw them away so will try to find an outlet.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 PM

OK, so this is a little time-consuming, but in the long run, oh-so-worth it!!
I got some BIG binders - some I had "rescued" from being trashed at the office - and some of those clear sheet protectors, and went through EVERY MAGAZINE I had.
I ripped out patterns/templates that I wanted, put them in the sheet protectors and put those in the binders.
I discovered that some magazines were virtually untouched, while other had only the advertisements left, and some were only a little "cannibalized".

I took what was left to my guild meeting, told everyone the story and said "Help yourself!!"
What few magazines were left went into the guild "library", with the understanding that if someone wanted to keep them, they could.

Later, I went back through the protected sheets and semi-organized... if there was a BOM-type set of patterns, they were all stuffed into a single sheet protector (if possible).
If there was a "series" (like the different animals that QuiltMaker does), those were at least grouped together in the binder, but not necessarily in the same sleeve.

Piecing patterns are all grouped together.
Applique patterns are all grouped together.
Articles - like a biography of a quilter, or history of a pattern, or "how-to" information - were all grouped together. Also, series like Bonnie Hunter's "Addicted to Scraps" are all in one sleeve.

I also put my "loose" patterns that I bought from the LQS in their own sleeves, and grouped those together - in a completely separate binder.
Yes, it takes awhile... if you've been quilting as long as I have, you won't finish in one day, or even in a weekend.

Just FYI... I have THREE of the big 4" binders that are FULL.
It's been awhile since I did this, so I'm behind again. I need to do another round of this. Which means I need to scrounge here at work for another binder.

My books... well, most of those are hard for me to part with, regardless of how "old and out of date", because the techniques described remind me of how blessed I am to have rotary cutters, AccuQuilt dies and so on. I HAVE donated a couple of books to the guild.

In the long run, it makes it a lot easier to find "fresh" inspiration... or to find that one pattern that is on your bucket list that you've finally decided to do NOW!

Good luck!!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Unless Quilters Newsletter had changed since I dropped my subscription - the cover magazine was just a teaser - no directions for how to make it or where to get directions for how to make it.
I found that most of the time, the cover of QN was a "show quilt" - in other words, a quilt that won at a show, and the quilter is showcased in the magazine. And you're right - there was very seldom directions or even the name of the pattern so you could purchase that elsewhere.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
This is going to make a lot of people cringe, but when I found myself in this predicament last year, I offered two grocery bags full of neatly stacked quilting magazines to my neighbor, a kindergarten teacher. She jumped at the offer and came to me later to tell me how much the children enjoyed the pictures and how useful it was to have this resource to do so many teaching exercises. I don't regret my decision. And the local thrift shop doesn't want any more magazines!
Oh, now that's a TERRIFIC idea!!! Why would you think we'd cringe?!? Just think of all the new quilters you helped inspire!!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:23 PM

I'm thinking of advertising mine on Craigslist to give away. Anyone else had success with this? I wish I could find more magazines in digital format to download to my Kindle Fire but the few that are available seem to be from Australia or the UK.

Last edited by janjanq; 09-29-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
You can send them media mail thru USPS, it's insanely cheap
Until they check what is in the box. Magazines are not include in the media mail catagory, as they are stuffed with advertising. The person receiving the box has to pay the corrected amount to get the box, if not it is shipped back to shipper and they pay the fine at their post office. You can get quite a few in a long large flat rate box for under 20.00
Old 09-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
If they are mailed be sure to mail them at the "Education rate" which is very inexpensive. All printed material is educational.
wrong. from the usps website
Media Mail Service

Media MailŪ service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:
Books (at least 8 pages).
Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
Printed music.
Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
Printed educational reference charts.
Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings.
In accordance
with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM 300) 173.3.2, Media Mail Packages are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage (DMM 604.8.1).
Old 09-29-2016, 02:53 PM

I have quite a few quilt magazines and the first thing I do is remove all of the advertising unless there is a pattern I want to use on the back side of the ad. Usually this reduces the magazine to 1/2 the original size. I then put them in a special holder for a 3 ring binder and label the binder with the name of the magazine. Once a year I go through the binders and it is amazing how my taste changes. I find myself throwing away patterns that I thought I would make. It keeps them manageable.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 PM

Don't throw them out--offer them here or on another quilting website--or call a local group or store--lucky you!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 PM

I donated mine (all in-tact) to my niece's church's quilt group. You might check area churches.