Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
skyline 5 janome machine >

skyline 5 janome machine

skyline 5 janome machine

Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 PM

Default skyline 5 janome machine

Does anyone have the skyline 5 Janome sewing machine and what do you think of it? is it indeed sturdy as noted and easy to use? Looking to upgrade to a middle priced machine that is great for piecing and quilting. Looked at it a dealer and read about it on the internet, but I am still interested what you on the board think of that machine.
Thanks for your input
Old 11-05-2016, 05:59 PM

I have one and I love it. It is indeed a good sturdy machine ... no vibrating even at high speeds ... but not so heavy you can't pick it up off the table. Stitch quality is excellent, the thread cutter works and is quiet, needle threader is easy to learn and use. Being able to pop off the stitch plate is really nicer than I imagined ... so much easier to use than unscrewing the plate ... and I'm much better now about cleaning the bobbin case. My only complaint is and I say this about every Janome I've owned ..is that I think the default stitch for the 1/4 inch is very healthy. But thankfully, with the new straight stitch plate (it has 3 holes) you can move the needle over to the right as far as you want. Try the included "O" foot for piecing ... it's nice but I really like the clear view foot better. It does have the little metal guide but you can unscrew it .. which I did. It's just personal preference. I purchased this used at extremely good price so I'd have a machine for sew days and quilt retreats .. my other machine is an 8900 ... but had I tried this machine out in the store new ... mmm...I might have bought it instead ... and I like my 8900 ... it's just not as straightforward to use. Hope this helps,
Sherrie
Old 11-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Thank you Sherrie this helps a lot.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Administrator

check out the memory craft 6600P before you settle for the skyline S5.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:15 AM

When I was actively looking for an upgrade to my entry-level computerized Janome, I tried the Skyline at my niece's. She only makes children's garments purses, and accessories. Not quilts.

I fell in love with everything on the Skyline EXCEPT the throat space. Granted, it was more than I had, but not enough to justify the price, for me. I knew I would ultimately want the 11" throat. I was tired of wrangling fabric through small throat space. It was taking the joy out of the quilting stage for me. So I bought the 8200. I don't hear many people talk about 82 (the 89 seems more popular) but I scored a BETTER deal that the Skyline price because mine was a "re-box" with the same warranty, dealer service, etc. In other words, if throat space is high on your wants list, go for the 11"--don't settle for less. You'll thank yourself.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
... if throat space is high on your wants list, go for the 11"--don't settle for less. You'll thank yourself.
i second that.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:17 AM

Thank you all for your advice. Wow a tough decision indeed!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 AM

I also have the 8200, and I love it.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:49 PM

I recently purchased the s7. I don't know how many features are similar to both machine. But I was AMAZED to find that when I chose the quilt set of stitches, the P 1/4" stitch was truly a scant 1/4" using the provided 1/4" foot. A first!!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

get the largest harp space you can afford