Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemotherapy quilt? >

Chemotherapy quilt?

Chemotherapy quilt?

Old 12-31-2016, 03:50 PM

I have made these comfort quilts my mission, and have made over 200 of them. For lightness of weight, I only use a fleece backing and no batting.
I try to choose colors and pattern based on what I can find out about the person it is for. As others have said, some do want the colors, ribbons, etc. that signify being a warrior against that disease, but I would only do so if I knew that to be the case. The most successful are those geared to interests of the person... horses for the horse lover, etc. but any quilt made with love is a comfort and treasure.
Sturdiness and ability to endure many launderings is important. I tend to stay away from pastels and lighter colors only because they show stains more. But having said that, if a pastel quilt is what the person would love, then a pastel quilt is what I would make.
Your caring enough to look for information before making the quilt for your friend shows already that your quilt will have the essential elements; love and care.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I love pink, but October (BC awareness month) about spoiled it for me.
Amen and amen! I am SO glad the NFL has decided to discontinue that campaign.

Originally Posted by Frances41 View Post
Do not use wool batting because it cannot be washed in hot water due to shrinkage.
Why on earth would anyone wash a quilt in hot water???

The quilt on my bed has a wool batting. It is so soft and has such a nice drape. I wash it in warm water, pop it in the dryer on med-low heat and it does just fine.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:05 PM

I have a friend and she has been bugging me for a cancer quilt. I was going to make is pink. But, I do like your statements about not making it pink. I know she likes bright colors. I think I will call it the survivor quilt!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Why on earth would anyone wash a quilt in hot water???.............
Hospitals and any institutions wash that way in order to "kill" bacterias, etc.

Normally, home cared for and loved quilts would not get that treatment.
However, some might do so at home, for the same reasons.

Or of course .... it could easily happen accidentally, b a good meaning person, who is not familiar with if quilt-care, but is helping out by doing laundry while the quilt owner is ill!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

beautiful quilt. i bet she loved it, along with everyone else.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 PM

My DH was having chemo treatments when I found out I had breast cancer, he was having chemo treatments while I was having radiation treatments. One of our children stayed with him and one would take me for my radiation treatments 25 miles away. Thankfully I didn't need chemo. My DH passed away on Sept 1st from his cancer. He didn;t care what quilt he would use any of the quilts that I had made. He really liked purple. My sister passed away from lung cancer on August 22, also had 3 other deaths in August from cancer. Any quilt will be good for any one having treatments..Be sure to make them long enough. Sorry this is so long.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:11 PM

just make her a quilt if you want don't make it a breast cancer quilt make it cheerful
Old 12-31-2016, 09:34 PM

The hospital will probably provide blankets for the patient. They can also "heat" or "warm" them for the patient.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 PM

I just wanted to add, the colors and the ribbons are not about celebrating the cancer, they are about fighting and defeating it!
Those who embrace the ribbons and colors are embracing the battle against that disease, and see them later on as symbols of their victory, not reminders of their illness. I have many requests for my ribbon pattern quilts and am always happy to make them. When I get a request from a family member for a ribbon quilt, I always make sure that they know this is what the recipient would want. In almost every case, they are sure and the quilt is well received.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
The hospital will probably provide blankets for the patient. They can also "heat" or "warm" them for the patient.
The hospitals do provide warm blankets for the patients and they are a welcome blessing for the rooms are almost always cold. Those who bring their comfort quilts from home usually use them over the heated blankets for the extra warmth and comfort of not only another cover, but one that is made for them with love from family and/or friends.