Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copying or creating >

Copying or creating

Copying or creating

Old 12-30-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.” Mark Twain
An interesting quote indeed from one of the greatest advocates for intellectual property rights in the whole of US & British history.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:37 PM

There's truly nothing new under the sun. But we do discover new approaches and technologies which allow greater proficiency of the accomplishment of new feats. I don't think it's wrong to ask the difference. Pioneering spirits often desire innovation and masters all learned by copying. There's room for both approaches.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:46 PM

I make quilts. I'm a quilter.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:12 PM

I don't think it matters, whatever makes you happy is all that matters. Even if you follow a pattern it's still your choice in fabric and you are doing the work. I follow patterns and do my own thing sometimes...what ever makes me happy at the time, quilting is my escape and joy!!!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Who is judging who is more of a quilter or less? Nobody I know... Don't lay those judgement trips on yourself, just enjoy what you do.

There are so many aspects to quilting... designing is only one of them. So don't overthink this and drive yourself crazy.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Are you less as a quilter if you use a pattern or copy a design you like? Is the ultimate goal in achieving quilter status to get to the point where you create original designs or does it matter?
IF you are sewing quilts, YOU ARE A QUILTER. I personally don't think it really matters as long as you are happy with your work. If you are gifted with the ability to design - go for it. If you prefer to use patterns, that's fine too. The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Some people buy kits and follow the instructions to the T. In the end they have a completed quilt and they are quilters. Others take scraps from their stash and sew them together in a creative way without so much as a sketch to follow. Once their layers are quilted, they are also quilters. Between those two extremes is a wide variety and there is room for all of us.

I sometimes use existing patterns with my own color choices or I adapt patterns. It all depends on the mood du jour.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 PM

I agree - a quilter makes quilts. It does not matter if you use a pattern, a kit, design your own or modify a pattern to suit yourself.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:00 PM

I agree a quilter makes quilts. Just love being a quilter!!!!!! Such fun whatever way I am making quilts. I am a hand stitcher and quilter.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
For me the ultimate goal is to complete a quilt that I'm happy with. I consider myself a quilter even though I copy or use patterns from designers as inspiration. There was a time when some felt you weren't a quilter unless you did it by hand and possibly some still feel that way. I just do what I enjoy and don't bother about what others think.
Ditto......................