Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show? >

Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show?

Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show?

Old 03-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
Wow...I just finished my second small quilt to enter into a show and after your comment I am having second thoughts.
The first time there were 2 older ladies making fun of the quilts no matter who else was standing there. Then they would laugh and run off to the next. My self esteem was -zero after that. And now I feel the same way.
Why? If it passed the judges then it's good enough for the show. I don't want to see puckers, mismatched seams, wavy borders, and skipped quilting stitches at a quilt show. The color and pattern makes no difference, everyone likes different types of quilts.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Wow...I just finished my second small quilt to enter into a show and after your comment I am having second thoughts.
The first time there were 2 older ladies making fun of the quilts no matter who else was standing there. Then they would laugh and run off to the next. My self esteem was -zero after that. And now I feel the same way.
Eyes- remember the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Personally, I enjoy looking at quilts no matter the level of work. I love when people feel free to share their quilts and I find it somewhat encouraging if there are some that are not perfection. As for those who make rude comments like the ladies at the show, there are always people who have to run something down in order to make themselves feel bigger. So I hope you keep on showing your quilts and enjoying it! And I'm sure yours are beautiful!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:25 PM

I entered a quilt in 3 AQS shows and was accepted in all 3. I also did not win a ribbon but I had the honor of my quilt showing in them and that was enough for me. This same quilt was rejected for the Rosemont show. Who knows what a judge wants. It is only the judge's opinion. I feel that the only opinion that I should be worried about is my own since I designed the quilt and I am the one who made it. I plan to continue to make quilts and enter them. I love the process. The shows are the icing on the cake.

Last edited by maryb119; 03-08-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:30 PM

I think the ladies were jealous that they didn't have a quilt in the show. Don't let them get you down.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM

I used to know one of those women. She wasn't very good at what she made and very jealous of people that were so would belittle their efforts. I realized that that said more about her than it did about the people she was making fun of.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 PM

I have also seen quilts that made me wonder what qualified them for the jury-ed show. But that made me look closer and sometimes I realized that I had focused on one aspect while completely ignoring others. I became a more rounded quilter by looking and analyzing the exhibits with a more open mind.

I love to quilt--period. I draw inspiration from many places. I have learned that there are types of quilts that I drool over but will never construct myself. I have learned that I don't need to see my quilt displayed (altho it is really nice!!) or judged, to know for myself, that I have made an item that will be used, (and in best case scenarios) worn to threads, and appreciated.

Someone dissing my quilts can still hurt my feelings. But no one has ever refused a quilt I made---ever!! I think that is the best reward anyone can give or receive.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 PM

No, but I have never tried to enter one.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM

I wouldn't mind at all if I attended a show and there were quilts displayed that were considered by some to be 'less than perfect'. I would think of the person who made the quilt, who is confident enough to enter it into a show, who is brave enough to open themselves up to criticism but most importantly, who is proud of what they have made and who obviously got a lot of pleasure out of making that quilt. To me, that's what's important. The joy and happiness of that person. So I might have paid a fair bit of money for the ticket. That doesn't mean that just because there are some 'sub standard' quilts displayed, there won't be enough 'quality' quilts in the show to please me. (If I were that sort of person, which I'm not) So please Eyes, enter your quilts for those people who can see what you've achieved and would love to see your work and don't worry about possible negative comments. They don't matter! After all, it's only another persons opinion.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 AM

I have entered one national juried quilt show and got in. I didn't win anything, but it was great fun to see my quilt next to all the others, and I learned a lot ( and got really inspired) looking at All the quilts that were in the show whether they won anything or not. An added benefit was that after the show was over the judges gave written feedback on my quilt - another learning experience as they mentioned some things that they liked and some things that could use improvement. I will definitely enter more shows as time and budget allows.

also I agree with the various other comments re: people dissing the quilts. their boorish behavior is a reflection on them.

Rob
Old 03-09-2017, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I entered a quilt slapped together and not very well made in viewer's choice show. I knew it wouldn't be judged, I'd been laughed out of the show. I won Viewer's Choice in the category. One woman was talking to group and said this quilt is so bad it makes my eyes hurt. I said that is my quilt and you are so right! We had a big laugh looking at all the mistakes. I think their votes put me over the competition! If I had gotten mad or upset I wouldn't had any fun or won.