Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting do you prefer and why? >

What batting do you prefer and why?

What batting do you prefer and why?

Old 09-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Peggi - Is this the QD Wool that you have never had a problem with? If so, do you wash your fabric first before quilting? Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-26-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I remember this thread about a bearding problem with QD wool batting:
Bearding problem

It seems to me that there are fewer reports of bearding with Hobbs wool batting. I do think with wool batting you have to be careful to use a closely woven backing fabric, and you also need to be sure the needle has no burrs.

I like different batts for different quilts. Hobbs 80/20 is my sort of all-purpose go-to batting when I don't have a special purpose. It is easy to quilt and provides nice loft and softness. It is also not too heavy.

I used Warm and Natural in several quilts before I decided it adds too much weight to large quilts. It also has a stiff drape that doesn't soften up until it has been through the wash multiple times (it *does* soften up eventually). I will still consider it for lap size quilts and smaller. I just don't like the weight it adds to a large quilt (I'm getting weaker as I get older) and also don't like its initial stiff drape. People who like the weight of heavy quilts are more likely to like W&N.

I like the softness and light weight of Hobbs polyester Dream Puff batting a lot. However, I found it more difficult to machine quilt on my frame than the lower loft Hobbs 80/20. If I can master quilting it, I will use it more often. One advantage of poly battings is that that the quilt dries much faster. I really like the soft feel of it in a quilt and, of course, it doesn't add a lot of weight.

I had the opportunity to handle a quilt with silk batting. It is luxuriously soft and light in weight. I love that! It is more "limp" than other battings and is expensive, so I would use it only for very special quilts that will be used to cuddle in. Wool batting would be better for a quilt that, say, would be hung over a bannister for show.

Comparing Hobbs 80/20 to an all-cotton needlepunched batting, there is a major difference in loft. You will get better quilting stitch definition in the 80/20 because of the loft. 100% cotton batting will always be flatter, with less stitch definition and loft.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I love cotton batting b/c I love the look for hand quilting.
There are so many good ones out there. I've been practicing my FMQ skills (?) and I'm using Fusiboo on practice pieces but I don't know how it washes etc.
I'd love to try wool on my Shakespeare in the Park that's almost done.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I used Warm and Natural in several quilts before I decided it adds too much weight to large quilts.
That's a good point! My DH really loves heavy quilts; the wool batting I used, I actually double-batted with a layer of W&N to add more heft, I knew it would be too light for his taste. It's a king size quilt...it's pretty heavy! And very cozy.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I like cotton mostly. I got a roll of Pellon cotton batting at Tuesday Morning a while back and since I am not a prolific quilter I still have about a quarter roll. It works fine for me.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM

I have tried many battings over the years. I recently tried Pellon Legacy 80/20 blend and I love it. I do longarm quilting and most of my customers use poly batting but I use the blend for all of my quilts.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

I mostly use high loft polyester batting. I love it, warmth without the weight.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Hi,
just wanted to reply to your post about batting, my favorite is bamboo batting, expensive, but hypoallergenic,
washes well, drapes well, and not as heavy as cotton, also very warm.
Katz
Old 09-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

I only use Warm and Natural. It has never let me down.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:33 PM

This is interesting.

Recently, I've been making 8 1/2x 11" mini wall hangings. For those I'd like a very thin yet stiff batting. Anyone out there have any experience with this?

I've used WW for years. Would like something softer. Info on this thread suggests Hobbs Tuscany or QD. Want it on bolts. Does anyone know of a source?