Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My expectations about swaps  - >

My expectations about swaps -

My expectations about swaps -

Old 10-25-2017, 04:27 PM

I've been swapping with another on line group for over 3 years and it's been a great experience!

However, I have seen issues in other swaps where rules were not followed (and not enforced). If a swap is "anything goes" that's fine but just state that upfront so folks know what to expect.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 AM

I participated in exactly one swap with a group of quilters who used vintage machines. The design chosen was very forgiving if you needed to trim the blocks to a consistent size. That was a good thing since I probably got two or three of the twelve blocks that met the requested size! Much worse was that it was supposed to be white and a solid primary color - red, green, blue, etc. This was important for the design. I got prints and pastels. It completely turned me off swaps. The blocks are in a storage box now, and they won’t ever get used by me. I ought to take them to a guild meeting and see if anyone can make a baby quilt from them.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Maybe the "guidelines" should read something like this?

Send in five blocks - any shape, any color, any size, any pattern, any quality of fabric, any quality of workmanship, made from washed or unwashed fabrics - and get five blocks back.

Would it still be a "reasonable" expectation to get five blocks back?

I don't feel "bad" about the swaps I participated in - I consider them to have been "educational" - I learned something from every block that came back - and from the blocks that I sent out, too.

Actually - it might be interesting to send four - of what I would consider "coordinated" sampler blocks to someone - and get four of what my trading partner would consider "coordinated" sampler blocks.
lol ...
that wasn't what i meant.

face it.
no matter how clear and detailed guidelines are, somebody is either going to misunderstand, think they have met the requirements even though they haven't, or just plain not care.

our local guild does show-and-tell. no matter how gawdawful something might be, nobody will tell the quilter that they went wrong somewhere, let alone where or how to avoid it in future. that's just one example of how things work just about everywhere. so lots of quilters don't know their stuff is not what it could be if somebody had been brave enough to tell them the truth.

our swap hostesses are allowed to return items unswapped if they don't comply with the guidelines.
but "good enough" and "correct" are subjective.

so, by expecting only the unexpected, you won't be surprised or overly disappointed.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I find it very interesting that we have not heard from those swappers who have received better than they sent.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I find it very interesting that we have not heard from those swappers who have received better than they sent.
don't hold your breath unless you look really good in blue. lol
Old 10-27-2017, 03:47 PM

I've been reading this thread since it's beginning. I haven't made any comments to this point. I have participated in several swaps on this board and on a chicken board I am pretty active on. On this board I have participated in the Boom swaps for about 3 years, several mug rug swaps, and a couple of wall hanging swaps. On the other board, I have participated in fall color, chicken, underground railroad, and about 3 other specific block swaps (and a few crocheted block swaps). I listed the swaps so you understand I have participated in more then one. In all these swaps by far the majority of the blocks have been nicely made w/ good fabric. I have only received under 5 (of well over 100) that were unusable, and another less then 5 that needed a little rework to be usable. I have had more then this w/ cut off points, but every swap I have participated in has been up front and clear all skill levels were welcome, while I would prefer not to have cut off points, if I play w/ all skill levels I know going in this is a possibility. I have seen some quilters really grow and expand b/c of playing in the swaps, they get blocks back that inspire them to improve for the next swap. Especially in the Boom swaps those ladies I consider my friends we share our lives good and bad, we laugh and cry w/ each other. We have a core group that play in every boom, and others that come and go as they can.
Here are some of my finishes from swaps

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583055[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583056[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583058[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583059[/ATTACH]
This last one isn't finished yet, but close.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0153.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	583055   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0155.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	583056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1180.JPG
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	583057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1196.JPG
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	583058   Click image for larger version

Name:	asw.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	583059  

Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 PM

I consider myself an above average piecer and love participating in the booms specifically and swaps in general.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:49 AM

I like the fellowship that builds in these group swaps, but don't participate because I have lots of quilts I want to make therefore choose not to make blocks someone else thought up or use blocks made by someone else
I know me, I'd never get around to my own stuff and then I'd start beating myself up...
Old 10-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

In my original post - I mentioned only two things -
colors and size.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM

Kassaundra, that top quilt is marvelous! I love how your quilting accentuates the blocks! Also such a clever way to include the blocks that were left over. I will do that next time!

I love swaps although I haven't participated for awhile because I can't meet deadlines and currently have no sewing space. Hopefully, that issue will be fixed over the winter as we eliminate a ton of stuff. The thing is that I can't really afford to participate any longer either here or at my other quilting place primarily due to the cost of fabric. Most of the swaps don't allow me to use what fabric I have on hand. I don't mind buying solid background fabric, but then there are requirements that eliminate fabric I own and/or require me to buy batiks (which I won't). To actually make the quilt, I have to buy yet more fabric because what I have won't work with the swap blocks I end up with. So other than kitty cat block swaps, I'm out. For now.

And as an FYI - if you have mis-sized blocks from a swap, sashing will fix most ills. I just sash them all, take my ruler and cut them all to one size. I have never concerned myself with cut off points because I've never noticed them after I finished the quilt. Alternatively, you can do what Kassaundra did and make a beautiful back with those that don't quite work.