Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 10-30-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I like the idea of labeling a quilt. I'm fairly new to quilting, so have only labeled one. I didn't gift it for several months, as I could not figure a way to label it that I was happy with. I finally bought some of those fabric sheets that you use in your printer. I liked the looks of it (it worked easily), but the the "fabric" was like starched canvas. It was very difficult to sew onto the quilt back. I could never have done it without a thimble and a couple of bad words. I'm not looking forward to labeling the next one.

I don't have an embroidery machine and I don't embroider. The pre-made labels don't give you space to write anything except who made the quilt and when. I don't care for the look of hand written ones, so I'm at a loss for what to try next.

bkay
bkay ~~ I'm like you , altho I do like the hand written ones. I don't label every quilt, just certain ones. I've started going to spoonflower and uploading pics of labels/graphics and editing with a text for the label. It prints on fabric swatch size 8x8 and costs $5. They turn out great. Last year I uploaded scanned hand written favorite recipes of my mothers ( she been gone 25 years) for dish towels for my daughters and siblings. They all loved them. If your wondering if the print lasts thru washing and drying...YES. Made a pillowcase for grandson with printed pics on swatches, of him and his poppy, from spoonflower and 6 years later, after many many washings...it is a bit faded...But still looks great.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks, Marietta. I'll try that.

bkay
Old 10-30-2017, 05:01 PM

One of the people who responded to this post says that orders custom made labels from Etsy. I did a Goggle search and came up with MANY people who make labels and sell them on Etsy. You might want to check Etsy out, and also any other sites that pop up. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:13 PM

I love the handmade touch of putting a label on my quilts. I name my quilt and put my name and the date if I don't know who it is going to and I put the recipient's name on if it is a gift. I make my labels with my embroidery machine and put them in lower right hand corner on the underside by sewing 2 sides into the binding seam and hand sewing the other sides when I hand sew my binding.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:30 PM

I label all of my gifted quilts, but usually a pretty simple one. I usually hand write and use scraps from the front to tie it in. I also like to do one with a picture of the recipient. It seems my labels are a big hit with the new quilt owner.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:15 PM

I have been wanting to do it this way, but I never know where exactly to put the label. How do you figure where to put the label so it doesn't look out of place?
Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I "label" all my quilts by embroidering what I want onto the backing fabric (before it is layered and quilted) with my embroidery machine.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM

the the "fabric" was like starched canvas. It was very difficult to sew onto the quilt back. I could never have done it without a thimble and a couple of bad words. I'm not looking forward to labeling the next one. bkay
Can you wash it before you attach it? I have some of that fabric, but haven't used it yet.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM

I label the quilts I give as gifts. Sometimes others but not often. I'm going to try and be more diligent in the future. I know it's important since I have one from my Mom that I don't know who made the quilt and often wish I did.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 PM

but the the "fabric" was like starched canvas. It was very difficult to sew onto the quilt back. bkay
Perhaps you could try a different brand of product. I am currently using Matilda's Own but have used other brands (I can't remember the names unfortunately) but have found them soft and pliable enough to sew by hand for labels and have also used them for photographs on the front of quilts.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I have been wanting to do it this way, but I never know where exactly to put the label. How do you figure where to put the label so it doesn't look out of place?
Janie, I measure the backing and estimate where the label will be, somewhere in the general vicinity of close to the bottom of the quilt on the back, centered. The centering part is easy, it's the length of the quilt that's tricky to determine when it'll be longarm quilted. So I don't try to get it right against where the binding will be, just somewhere above it. And I use a thread color that will be visible and easy to read, but not stand out like a sore thumb from across the room. I've always been happy with the results, and there's no label for a thief to pick off. The machine quilting goes right over and through the embroidery like it's not there.