Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Places to donate quilts >

Places to donate quilts

Places to donate quilts

Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 AM

I sew for Project Linus. It's so easy for me and fun to make tops that are finished by other volunteers. Our coordinator works real hard at it. Of course, she couldn't do it without a lot of help, but she's the one who buys a lot of the supplies, makes contacts and deliveries after checking out the quilts and washing them, too. It is truly a full time job for her. We cover a pretty wide area here in central VA. Years ago I was with a guild and we made quilts for an unwed mothers' group. Honestly, some of them were terrible. Who wants a brown quilt made out of fabric that should have been discarded for their lovely new baby? I did deliver some of those to the animal shelter but never told the ladies. I did wash the whole bunch of those since some smelled like cigarettes. Surprising what some people tell themselves they are donating in good faith--I didn't see some of the donations that way.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM

"Happiness is a Warm Quilt" They are collecting quilts to distribute to the California wildfire victims. They have a Facebook page
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I started a local chapter of Quilts for Kids. Then I can just sew what as I want and deliver to local hospitals. I have also donated to 3 local fire departments. My son's girlfriend's church has a coat drive and they ask for blankets - so I have donated to them. And they take them to soup kitchens to give out
Consider not giving quilts to any kind of homeless shelter. Quilts are made of cotton, cotton gets wet and then has no insulating properties. I would hate to learn that one of my quilts caused someone to freeze to death. Better to donate polyester blankets for them. I collect blankets all summer long at garage sales, take them home to wash, then store them in an unused closet until the weather starts getting colder, then take them to the soup kitchen or homeless shelter. I also watch for old, repairable sleeping bags for the same reason.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM

I found the same with local sheriff, not interested due to lack of space in car, dirty trunk, and they have an abundance of stuff animals donated to them for comfort items.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Santa for Seniors(a mitten tree) Many seniors asked for a warm blanket.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 AM

Give them to senior citizens in your area. Many are living alone in their own homes, rarely get any visitors and usually don't get out much. I started donating to them in my community about a year ago. I started by asking meals on wheels what they thought of my idea. One of the volunteer delivery drivers contacted me and we came up with a plan. The drivers know their "customers" so I went out with him one day and he delivered meals and I delivered quilts. It is the most heartwarming experience, the seniors are so appreciative for the food and quilts. May sewing group has also made placemats and bibs for the seniors also.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Also consider domestic violence shelters, nursing homes, teen shelters if you have them.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Kidney dialysis centers are an option, too. That treatment process makes patients get chilly, like chemo. The one I donate to keeps the quilt for regular patients and pulls it out when they come for treatment. I put a blank quilt label on them and the center writes with a sharpie the name. The patient or family is given the quilt when treatment ends...or it gets laundered for the next patient. I've volunteered laundering too.