Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Constitutes A Mystery Quilt? >

What Constitutes A Mystery Quilt?

What Constitutes A Mystery Quilt?

Old 02-03-2018, 04:50 AM

I do some of the mysteries. If in doubt, you can always copy all the steps as they come out, then at the end when it is shown you can decide if you want to make it. Kinda not a mystery any more but you won't have used up your time and fabric. I don't do this unless I am so buried I have to postpone making it, but it is an idea.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:58 AM

I have done several of the NYD mystery quilts. They are fast and fun. It is something to do New Year's Day while DH is watching the ball games. Some turned out great. Some not so much to my liking. Those will be appreciated by someone and go in the donation pile. Follow the mystery train ride posted here in block of the month section
Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 AM

I did my first small mystery quilt by Kathy Tracy in 2017 but I cheated and didn't start until I had the first 2 or 3 clues. Does that count? I don't think I'm brave enough to just jump in and go for it when using scraps.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Quiltbug does a couple one day mysteries. New Year's Day and one for the game this Sunday.
I've never done one, but a gal in my club does. I'm considering tomorrows.
The instructions are released about every hour and the quilt is throw sized. Here's a link to her site if you'd like to try. Link is near the top of the page, "... Super Sunday Mystery February 4th"
Old 02-03-2018, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I signed up for my first one ever starting today on this board. I'm excited because I've never done one.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:55 AM

the only reason I participate in mystery quilts is I have so much fun with the others on this board doing it. I learn a lot with the group discussions and love seeing the different quilts that result from the different choices.

I would have no desire to do one without that group participation.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:55 AM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks...94354-new.html

There is a mystery that starts on this board today. It makes a small lap quilt. If never made one, give this one a try. It is largely scrappy so np investment needed. It is under block of the week link. 18th Mystery Quilt Train. Only four weeks long.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:28 AM

Jump on board!! The Mystery Train ride starts today and Judy does a fabulous job. You can look back at her other mysteries to see that they are very doable and so much fun. This mystery uses scraps so go on over and join in. You do not need to sign up just follow along on the thread. I love mysteries.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I have made the last 4 of Bonnie Hunter's mysteries. She tells you at the beginning what colors to choose (by way of paint cards) and tells you how much to have of each. Then she releases-one a week-what to do. The last clue release tells you how to put it all together. A lot choose different matching colors and all works out fine.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:50 PM

To answer your question. When starting a mystery quilt, I don’t know: 1) will I like it, 2) if my colors will play well together & I have a large stash. 3) if I will keep it. Keeping that in mind I love mysteries and the unknown. So I love mysteries quilts projects.

Over the the years I have learned, I love to do Judy’s mystery train ride from here and Bonnie Hunter’s mystery quilts. I know both mysteries will turn out nice and they are at my skill level or below. I also know it’s alright to change portions of the top it I don’t like them. Sometimes I will work slow to get other’s ideas on completing the projects. Therefore I can finish how I want. And finally I love the interaction from all of the other members of the group. On this site we are all great people.

I’m also looking for another 1 or 2 mysteries to follow for super bowl Sunday tomorrow. I really hope you give it a try in the future.