family games

Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM

I was bad at yoyos as a kid. When my son was a toddler I pulled one out to show him. Gee, it all worked as a grown up and I got pretty good. Now I have a stash.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Thank You Trisher for explaining Crokinole.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 PM

I played Monopoly last night, and for the first time ever, I got Boardwalk and Park Place! I also won the game for the first time. It only took sixty years. Lol.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:03 PM

lots of softball, badminton, checkers, Monopoly (we had a non-stop game one summer that went on for days!), Clue, Authors cardgame, Canasta (my g-ma was a champ and no mercy!); Tripolgy, and Detective. My DH and I played a lot of Scamble, dominoes and Avalon Hill (strategy) games when kids little--not we sit around on our computers too much!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM

We played jacks and marbles in the schoolyard, and I never got very good. My friend had a big, shady screened in porch, and the two of us would sit out there in the summer and play Monopoly, Scrabble and Clue, as well as quite a bit of Canasta. She seemed incredibly lucky - always landing on Boardwalk and Park Place while I always landed on Go to Jail, and she'd always get the better cards and all the high point Scrabble letters. I didn't really enjoy any of that very much, but I liked my friend, and I know she didn't cheat. Now I sometimes play Words with Friends on Facebook, and one of my old friends from my home town plays pretty regularly. For some reason I seem to be the one with all the luck when I play with her. She will complain that she has nothing but all vowels or all consonants and I'm drawing the high point letters with just enough vowels time after time, until it's not even all that much fun to play.

Thought I'd add some of the ones my kids enjoyed: Hungry, Hungry Hippos, Battleship, Operation, and the some of the first electronic ones we had, Blasto (my personal favorite because you'd shoot things down and they never shoot you back!), Parsec and a little later, Simon. I'm not sure how we missed out on Pacman - they played it at friends' houses. We still have Simon, but sadly it doesn't work any more. My kids are in their 40's now, so it's okay to be nostalgic for electronic games, right?

Last edited by Rose_P; 04-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I forgot about Scrabble! My Mom and I must be up to about a million games by now!!
The comment about Chinese Checkers cracked me up. I guess now it's called Asian Checkers perhaps?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM

My two grandkids Jack who is 7, and Jacy who is 5. When they come to my house the first thing they want to play is old maid, war, Uno, or crazy eights. I love playing card games with them.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:00 PM

I played a lot of chess with my kids
Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

As a kid I played jacks, marbles, pick up sticks, checkers, chinese checkers, double dutch jumping rope, basket ball, go to the head of the class, password, all types of card games, pin the tail on the donkey,etc.

As an adult, basket ball, dodge ball, racketball, the limbo, horse shoes, badmitton, checkers, chess, scrabble, yatzee, tennis, backgammon, mahjong, and others I can't think of right now.