Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginning hand piecing project? >

Beginning hand piecing project?

Beginning hand piecing project?

Old 04-14-2018, 05:57 PM

It can be pretty easy to kit an English paper piecing project. Here is what I would take:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592968[/ATTACH]
- a packet of 1" hexagon papers
- a temporary glue pen, and maybe refills (I use Fons and Porter, but all brands are pretty much the same)
- thread and needles (I usually only carry one spool of a mid-tone neutral; either grey or brown. You can bring more if you want).
- a needle threader, if you use one
- a couple Wonder clips, and/or a roll of scotch tape for holding pieces together as you stitch them.
- fabric - mini charm packs (2.5" squares) work nicely with 1" hexagon papers. I've also taken 2.5" strips, and just cut them off as I go.
- thread cutter of some sort (I put my thread in a dental floss container)
- scissors or small rotary cutter and mat (if using strips instead of squares)

The whole thing will fit nicely into a smallish container - I use a 7x7x2.5" photo box I got from Michaels, but a big ziplock bag would work great as well.

I don't cut the squares of fabric into hexagon shapes. I glue baste, and just have the bit of extra seam allowance.

PS: Whatever you take, good luck on your exams, and have a great trip!

Last edited by Jennifer23; 04-14-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This thread shows how 4 patches starting with 2 1/2" squares can be turned into a beautiful quilt. Her quilt is quite lovely. Lots of 4 patches
I agree with Barb. Grab a bag full of 2 1/2" squares and hand piece 4 patches every chance you get. You can press and assemble when you get home. You can never have enough 4 patches as an addition to any quilt or to use in a stand alone quilt by itself. Have a great trip!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 PM

When I travel, I usually pick out a pattern with squares that I want to do embroidery designs on. Then I can just bag up the squares and the threads intended. I usually use a pair of nail clippers for cutting threads. Just something simple. Right now I am working on a Sudoku quilt, with items representing the numbers; say one apple, two hears, three stars, etc. These are cut out of different fabrics and bonded to the squares. I then embroider them along the outer edges. It's a good project that I can carry when I go somewhere and work on when I have the time. Once they are all done, I will sit at the machine and sew them all together into a lap quilt.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 AM

On a long trip to Israel I took a 24" background piece and some previously cut out pieces to applique. I hand appliqued them a little at a time as I felt like it and when I returned from the trip I made a pillow out of it. Now I have a remembrance of my trip each time I look at it. It gave me something to do besides just watching movies or reading, and I learned more about applique as well. I used a little round disc to cut thread. I do like the idea of the dental floss though. Never thought about using that.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:22 AM

My DH and did a one month (5500 mile) road trip Feb-March and I took a couple of hand projects for the car. Besides a crochet baby blanket, I did this appliqué project for a wall hanging. It is Anna Marie Horner’s Spring Bloom. It is free on her website. [ATTACH=CONFIG]593016[/ATTACH] I prepared all the pieces before we hit the road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CA4CD89E-7D50-4A05-95F8-96A495488CC9.jpeg
Views:	731
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	593016  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
Thank you for the suggestions.

I know I have not given myself enough time. I did a similar trip last year and wished I had some hand work along with me. I did people watch, Sudoku, read, watched videos on the flight, chatted with seat mates etc. Unfortunately I do not sleep on planes trains etc.

I do not think knitting needles are allowed on flights. They were banned after 9/11 for many flights, but it was not across the board. My step-mum boarded one flight no problem with knitting needles, but when she transferred at LAX, they were confiscated. I could check into a crochet hook.
You can take Bamboo knitting needles. I flew to South Africa and back and knitted away.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
I don't cut the squares of fabric into hexagon shapes. I glue baste, and just have the bit of extra seam allowance.
I watched a video where she didn't cut the fabric into hexagons, just used squares. I've decided to start an EPP project. I think I'm going to try doing it that way.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Yoyos are very portable, even if you use the Clover circle that makes it easier (it works well with charm packs, though you do need to trim the extra fabric.) So are Grandmother Flower Garden blocks if the pieces are precut. I don't use paper - just sew the hexagons together.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 PM

Ok, so this is my two cents...
Considering the amount of time you have, you probably want something easy.
No one here has mentioned it yet, but there are Cathedral Windows.
Here is a pretty good video on doing all the prep by machine.
themasquerade.net/2017/09/20/cathedral-windows-one-stitch-at-a-time/
Because of your trip, you can machine sew a bunch of the background squares and only pre-sew by machine 2-4 blocks together ahead of time, or just do it by hand on the trip.
She makes hers 8", but I do 9" muslin to start. And if you have a charm pack, just cut the 5" squares into (4) 2.5" squares.
Here it is all done by hand:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cath...Quilt-Squares/
However, even my mom does the squares by machine. She connects them by hand, but only bc she wants to and that can be done on the go.

*I also have a hand piece project that I am sporadically working on. But if you've never done it, I'm not sure a trip is the time to do it.
Cindy Blackburg sells stamps and ink and all you have to do is precut enough for the flight. And just cut more as you go...
http://cindyblackberg.com/2014/05/16...cing-hexagons/

*As far as knitting and crochet on the plane:
I flew from the US to Cozumel in 2016 with knitting needles. When I went to fly home a week later, they actually had a list of things not allowed as carry-on. ALL needles (knitting & sewing) and hooks were not permitted.... Thankfully there was a movie, but I was disappointed in my boredom...lol So, check with the TSA, but know that things might change. Just be sure to find out before you check any luggage. I was able to stash my items before we got to the counter so nothing was taken.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../whatcanibring
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I believe you can bring along scissors with blunt points.
That depends on the country and/or the airport. Multiple US airports passed my kindergarten scissors, but the airport in Dublin confiscated them. Because, you know, gimpy old ladies hijack planes all the time with their kindergarten scissors.