Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! My June Taylor Shape Cut Just Broke-UGH >

Help! My June Taylor Shape Cut Just Broke-UGH

Help! My June Taylor Shape Cut Just Broke-UGH

Old 04-16-2018, 03:41 PM

I was actually cutting when my JT broke. I just felt I was lucky that I didn't have an injury. Love the JT but wish it was less prone to breaking. I thought it was just me.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:59 PM

might be a good idea to get up and go as a group to get the duct tape and be proactive in taping the bottom and top of the ruler there is quite pretty duct tape in office supply stores!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:50 PM

My JT ruler broke recently (actually my grandson broke it) and I got a new one which is just as good as my old one. I saved the old one which is about 12". I use it when I have fewer strips to cut, and it's kind of convenient to have a smaller one. I think that some of the JT rulers are flimsy, but my ShapecutPlus is great!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM

I use super glue with the powder from acrylic nails. Makes for super strong mends. Haven't broken my shape cut yet, but i have noticed it gets dinged up from cutting. That duct tape idea is looking good...
Old 04-17-2018, 03:43 AM

Hi y'all,
I just heard from the JT folks. They wanted to know when, where...etc. from my purchase of this flimsy ruler. Of course, I could only guess. Who saves receipts from a year or so ago!? I did email back that I talked to y'all and many of you told of the same experiences. I also promised them I wouldn't buy another one. It won't do any good at all, but I do feel better for complaining.
Your suggestions are most helpful. Out comes the shelf liner, the duct tape, the glue, etc. to preserve the rest of the ruler. And, saving pennies for the ones you suggested. Thank you so much!!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I also promised them I wouldn't buy another one.
If it is several years old, worn, and it broke then why is that the manufacturer's fault? Seems you will be without a tool you like to use.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-17-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If it is several years old, worn, and it broke then why is that the manufacturer's fault? Seems you will be without a tool you like to use.
My JT ruler was not years old. Maybe a little over one year and didn't break because of wear. I picked it up by a corner and the 12" slot just broke off. No chips or wear from the rotary cutter or any other injury. And , oddly enough, the older rulers survived many years longer than these flimsy new ones. The makers are making them much thinner now.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 AM

SillySusan, I totally agree with you. Save your money and buy the Stripology ruler.
So far we haven't heard anyone having their Stripology break...so it has to be of
superior quality that the JT.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

A you tube video how to use the JT slotted ruler says to always lift the ruler using two hands, one on each side to balance the weight of it so one side won't bend down and possibly break from the bend. Makes sense as this ruler isn't solid and all the weight will be on the end you are holding.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Guess what!?!! I just got an email from June Taylor Co. They are going to send me a new one. They believe me even without a receipt! Wow! I really didn't expect this. As a matter of fact, I told them that I knew there wasn't going to be any help at all without that receipt. Wow! There rulers are still too flimsy, but if I'm really careful... Wow! What a surprise!