Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another telemarker call this morning >

Another telemarker call this morning

Another telemarker call this morning

Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM

I love the credit card one, you know the one that offers to reduce your debt. I get a live body on the other end and inform them we have no credit cards and don't want any. One practically accused me of lying.....lol..One was shocked......and the best one....Would you be interested in one?.....LOL

I asked to be taken off their list again for the umpteenth time. They call the my cell phone, leave texts and voicemails.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:53 PM

We had a call show up on our caller ID as "Illegal Scam". At least they were honest. haha We don't answer calls and let our answering machine get them. We also get calls on our cell phones. Irritating is putting it mildly!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Thanks for posting the Medicare one, last week I received an email that I would be receiving my new updated Medicare card in the mail soon. It seemed real but I deleted it anyway not taking any chances. If I get a new card fine if not I am not going to worry about it. Never heard of getting a new medicare card before.
That one may be legitimate. They're giving out new Medicare cards that don't have your Social Security number on them. DH got his a few weeks ago.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Two weeks ago we started getting calls asking to speak to a guy named Daniel H. After about the 3rd call I got a little frisky..lol

I told the guy that Daniel H. was arrested for juggling cats without a permit........I guess they are still trying to figure that one out, cause they haven't called back.

I got one that asked for my grandson, by name. So I handed the phone to him. I hope that telemarketer (or maybe he was a collection agent) had fun talking to a 3-year-old toddler.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Thanks for posting the Medicare one, last week I received an email that I would be receiving my new updated Medicare card in the mail soon. It seemed real but I deleted it anyway not taking any chances. If I get a new card fine if not I am not going to worry about it. Never heard of getting a new medicare card before.

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
That one may be legitimate. They're giving out new Medicare cards that don't have your Social Security number on them. DH got his a few weeks ago.
I think the Medicare was a scam. The government is sending out cards with new numbers and are no longer using your Social Security number but they are not calling to tell you. I think the scammer has found out they are sending new cards and trying to trick you in giving out your personal information. It is my understanding the government does not call you about anything, they will notify you by mail if they need to contact you.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I love the credit card one, you know the one that offers to reduce your debt. I get a live body on the other end and inform them we have no credit cards and don't want any. One practically accused me of lying.....lol..One was shocked......and the best one....Would you be interested in one?.....LOL

I asked to be taken off their list again for the umpteenth time. They call the my cell phone, leave texts and voicemails.
They keep calling because when you answer your phone, you become a “customer” and they can call customers, as much as they want, that is how they get around the “do not call” list rules.) they know they have a good number to keep selling on and reselling to other companies. Let any “unknown/unnamed” (my phone actually says “scam likely” for them so I can ignore them.) Important calls leave a message. You can call whoever calls right back if it is important to you then put the number in your phone and delete the rest. Gets much quieter with time. Don’t take the bait. Lol. (That’s why they call it “phishing (pronounced Fishing) Quilting is more fun without unneccsary interruptions. ��❤️
Old 07-12-2018, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
Never heard of Nomorobo. How do I get it?
Go to http://www.nomorobo.com. Just follow the prompts on the screen. Easy as pie and soooo worth your time!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 AM

I got a call asking for "the lady of the house" I asked, "Do you speak cat?" What? "All my ladies are cats, which one do you want to visit?" They hung up.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by GeeGee View Post

I think the Medicare was a scam. The government is sending out cards with new numbers and are no longer using your Social Security number but they are not calling to tell you. I think the scammer has found out they are sending new cards and trying to trick you in giving out your personal information. It is my understanding the government does not call you about anything, they will notify you by mail if they need to contact you.
I think another angle is they try to get you to pay a fee for the "new card." Beware of anyone calling and claiming to be from a gov't agency.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:08 PM

Depending on my mood - I like to 'play' with these scammers when the call, it can be entertaining. The ones that tell me I can get a lower credit card interest rate or mortgage update or help with my student loans, or even the guys who tell me they are going to fix my computer for me. I act like I am interested and taking notes veerrryy slowly; I might ask for a phone number in case we get cut off. Then I ask how much money they are sending me. They explain that they are not sending me money and try their spiel again. Me: but how much money are you sending me?? They try again to tell me they aren't sending me money. I do that as many times as I think they have patience for - then I offer to call the BBB, I have their number - and I have called them. For some reason the call is over. They hang up on me....