Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To label or not to label? >

To label or not to label?

To label or not to label?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Write on paper and pin to quilt for the fair. You can make a permanent one when you decide.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I have always put a label on each quilt I have made. (except for the first few because I did not think of it.) I use a light fabric and hand write my information. I put the quilt name, what number it is, who I made it for, my name and the date it was finished. They are not pretty, but I just want for someone years from now to have the information, if they need it.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 AM

I quit putting my quilts in the local fair because it would be so easy for someone to walk off with them.
That might be why they require them.

When I label mine which I seldom do I write title, my name, date on the lower right corner of the front.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 AM

I do label with the name of the quilt, my name, date and location. If it was made for someone special I will put "Made for "their name" then the other information. Forgot to say that I make my labels on my embroidery machine then hand stitch them to the back or sometimes I will embroidery the label directly on the quilt back before quilting the sandwich.

Last edited by Bobbielinks; 07-18-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM

I put labels on my quilts - I like the embroidered labels for special gifts. The year is a must Time flies so I like to have that on there

I hand sew them to the back after the quilting is completed

Now I am going to make a quilt for myself and I am wondering if I should put one on that or not..... have to think about that
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM

I label my quilts with my first name, maiden name, and last name, date finished, city, and occasion for which it was made. I want whichever family member gets one of my quilts (on down the line), will know both family names. My quilts are not heirloom quality, but to me they are (lol). I have my grandmothers quilt (she was born in 1873, and had my father when she was 43 in 1916), and the quilt is not labeled and it would have been so nice if it had some sort of label and date made. I don't think it matters what sort of quilt it is, but that it was made from the heart and made from their relative's hands.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Adding a label personalizes the quilt. My friend and I just gifted one and the label was very simple:
Sweet Dreams
for Joyce, 2018
made by Kelly and Martina

It states the name, owner, maker, and time frame.

Sometimes I go more elaborate and add the exact date, or reason for gift, and more personal data.
Most of mine are drawn on muslin and hand-sewn to the back.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 AM

I always add a label. Quilt Name, Recipient (if there is one), Date Completed, City and State. I usually use a 3.5" x 5" piece of muslin and hand write the info. I only use a Pigma pen.

I also keep a quilt "journal" where I record quilt info. Name of pattern, designer (if not one of my own designs), book/magazine/commercial pattern name, fabric manufacturer, fabric line name, colorway, and my thoughts as I construct the quilt. I include why I chose that particular pattern, color and fabric. What the occasion is that I am making the quilt for. Something about the person I am making the quilt for. Problems I've encountered as I make the quilt. Any changes I've made to the pattern. I include the actual information that I've put on the label to have a "permanent" record of the quilt. I also include a photo (or 2) of the finished quilt. A lot of work, but it is fun to look back over the quilts I've made over the years. I can "look at" the quilts I've given as gifts and still see them anytime I want.

Btw, the only shows I've entered are local, non-juried, guild shows. Labels required as well as short wirte-ups about the quilt (my journal comes in handy for this).
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

For most of my quilts I use a fabric pen and write directly on the quilt back or the quilt binding. If the backing is too dark then I make a small label. I put Made by _______ and the date. I see a big quilt label full of info I seldom read it.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM

I put labels on all my quilts and it is fun to go back an look at any I keep to see when I made them. I always add,
the name of the quilt or pattern, the teacher's name and place where I took the class if the quilt was made in a class. I usually put the date started and then ended. Sometimes, it is years before it gets done. I put "made by" and my name and location. If it the quilt is made for a person, I put their name and where they live.