Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
C & C thread >

C & C thread

C & C thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 AM

Coats and Clarks does not make the 'notched' spools anymore. It is simply twisted under the plastic rim. If you do have an older version, you have a couple options. Put the 'notch' at the top and the thread will not get caught (if you have a horizontal holder, put the notch to the far side). You can also use a TINY bit of nail polish to fill in the notch - emphasize TINY.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
Yes, I have had that problem too and unfortunately, they have put the small notch in both ends. I would like to find a solution, also even though I rarely use C and C.
Maybe put some clear fingernail polish in the cracks? This elimates a place to hold the
thread but I can only imagine how aggravating it would be to keep catching your thread
on the spool!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Flipping ends shouldn't make any difference in that or am I missing something?
if I turn around the thread around comes off of the front of the spool. My manual says it has to come off the back of the spool.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
My machine manual says to use thread cap closest to size of thread spool, but I'll try a larger cap. Thanks for the suggestion!
If I am using a spool that I know I have problems with the thread catching on the end, I like to use a "slightly" larger cap so that the thread will skip over the spool end.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:18 AM

Something interesting, a mystery. My JoAnn store carried C&C thread that doesn't have that notch. It has the removable cap. My Walmart store carries C&C thread with the notch. I wonder why, and what the difference is.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
if I turn around the thread around comes off of the front of the spool. My manual says it has to come off the back of the spool.
What are the "front" and "back" of the spool?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM

When the notch is on both ends, I take a paring knife and cut another / towards the existing one keeping it shallow. When my cut meets up with the existing cut. A shallow \/ is the result. I smooth the edges of the V and the thread no longer catches in it. I usually leave one slash for storing the thread and I make sure it is always on the bottom when putting the thread on the spool holder.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:27 AM

New spools of C&C thread don’t have that little slit anymore, and they also have cotton now 😀
Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM

I'm pretty sure the bulk bin spools (black, white, ecru, grey) from Joann's still have the notch. Yep, seal it with acrylic nail polish or cut it off.

I am a user of inexpensive threads and have gone to the Gutermann Mara 100 from Wawak. It is really inexpensive and is the same as the Gutermann Sew-all. Gutermann is now manufactured by American and Efird, a company that actually still has a US manufacturing plant!. Anyway it comes on a beautifully formed, cross-wound spool, which is easy to put on the spool-holder, but I use a thread holder out of habit.

As an aside, I have 30 year old quilts that I have sewn with polyester thread, machine washed and dried numerous times that have held up extremely well. The only issues with them are that the few batiks I used in them. The batik fabric is actually disintegrating where the wax clearly was (and yep these were Hoffman batiks).
Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 AM

Hummm, I almost always use C &C and piece on a Featherweight. I make sure the slot on the spool is down on the machine so the thread does not catch on it.