Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL >

My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

Old 01-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Banned

First, let me correct a bit of misinformation. Singer didn't give anybody anything. Other countries were building round bobbin machines long before WWII as Singers patent on it had run out.
The 70s and the 90s brought the official "nostalgia" Singer reproductions to the US and they were built in China, Taiwan and I think somewhere else. I own a Brother nostalgia machine, a hand crank 15 class from 1976. 15 class knock offs have continuously been built in countries around the world this whole time, they're still being built.

Cari
Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 PM

what a beauty! Those decals are amazing.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston Mom View Post
Sadly I don't have a 221 … out of my pocket range.
I paid $20 for one of mine! Just keep your eyes open.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Well here is my Singer NL. I got it from the GoodWill. When I first saw it, I recognized the Sphinx decals, and what great condition they were in, so I snatched it up and paid $29.00 for it. I got it home and started looking at it closer and immediately thought this was not a real Singer. I was confused by the decals and the machine itself. I had already sold my other Sphinx so I had nothing to compare this one to but the machines looked totally different. I then thought someone took a generic class 15 Clone and put Sphinx decals on it and sold it off to some unsuspecting Joe/Jenny. I started researching the serial number on the metal plate and came up with nothing. Then I saw the model number 15 NL cast in the bottom of the machine. One last internet search brought me here. I am glad because at least now I have a bit of information on the machine. I was about ready to list on eBay for sale, but now that I have some history, I am going keep it. It really is a nice looking machine and sews great!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611028[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cf6b8d2c2649f7065.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	611027   Click image for larger version

Name:	e9da3cf5fa8df0dd4.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	611028  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:15 AM

Prairiegirl, this is how I look at it when I realize I could have looked a little bit more before I leaped. I just chalk the money I spent on the item up as tuition in the School of Hard Knocks. If it makes you feel any better, you can always take a piece of paper, write down everything you've learned from buying this machine, and at the top write Syllabus. It will still be cheaper than any college class you can take, so you're at least getting a good deal there!! See? Silver lining Found!

If this doesn't work, maybe a glass of wine will.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:14 AM
Banned

For all of you with these reproduction machines, or anyone who is looking at one, there are a few things that will tell you it's a reproduction just by looking at it. The first, and biggest tell is the plastic feed dog drop knob on the bed. The old Singers did not have that. The old machines, if they have a feed drop at all will be a large screw underneath the bed. The almost gaudy brightness of the decals is another tell that it's either a reproduction machine or that the machine has had the decals replaced. If it's an electric machine the tell is the modern plastic electrical connection on the machine, it looks nothing like the old 3 pin style Singer used to use. The upper tension assembly is another tell. It's very easy to see that it's modern plastic. There are other ways to tell a reproduction machine but these things are always what I first notice when looking at one.

Cari
Old 03-31-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
For all of you with these reproduction machines, or anyone who is looking at one, there are a few things that will tell you it's a reproduction just by looking at it. The first, and biggest tell is the plastic feed dog drop knob on the bed. The old Singers did not have that. The old machines, if they have a feed drop at all will be a large screw underneath the bed. The almost gaudy brightness of the decals is another tell that it's either a reproduction machine or that the machine has had the decals replaced. If it's an electric machine the tell is the modern plastic electrical connection on the machine, it looks nothing like the old 3 pin style Singer used to use. The upper tension assembly is another tell. It's very easy to see that it's modern plastic. There are other ways to tell a reproduction machine but these things are always what I first notice when looking at one.

Cari
At least on these reproductions, the badge on the front shows the modern Singer logo, not the shuttle and thread logo found on vintage machines - another way to identify a modern reproduction.
Pat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611077[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	611075   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	611076   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	611077  
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Sorry for cluttering up the thread with multiple photos. Had trouble adding a photo -- it didn't show on my iPad so tried several times. Apparently it was added each try. So embarrassed! I asked the admin for help to remove them so hopefully they will disappear soon!
Old 10-02-2022, 08:29 PM

Hello CaffeineAssisted,
I recently purchased a Singer reproduction 15 machine. Would you happen to have a manual for this machine? Thank you.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:58 AM

Kendall, CaffieneAssisted has not been back to QB since posting. Probably the manual bkay linked to will work. There is also this page https://manuals.plus/singer/15-class...achines-manual but I think there may be a typo, as it says to use a 16x1 needle but it should be 15x1 needle. There is also a manual available for sale at https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/in...nger-15nl.aspx

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)