Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing mat?  Used one? >

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Old 04-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I have the 17” x 17” square one and love it. It truly makes a difference pressing pieced blocks. It is large enough for most of my appliqué projects and pieced blocks and not so big it’s hard to deal with. I looked at the ironing board size one and decided I really didn’t want that. I’m very happy with the one I have
Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by psdumas View Post
I said to myself, "what the hay??" on those pressing mat prices! So... I found a great site (EcoRugPads.com)that cuts a 3/4" thick pure wool felted pieces any size you request, and ships for free, and quick. They have all types of material.. but, I chose the 100% wool, called Nature's Cushion. It may not be as thick as the 1/2" size, but it works just the same. For about 18.00. If you want it thicker, you could probably sew two pieces together. Works great!

Yes, I too have a 100% wool mat from EcoRugPads that I ordered over a year ago. I love it. Great price.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ninab View Post
I purchased an 18x18 mat at a LQS and can't imagine not having one. I paid a premium for it, however - I think it was ~50 bucks. I'd just started my first quilt and was in the "Ohhhhhh wow, look at that!" newbie phase.

At the time, I didn't realize there were other options. However, my mat has been worth every penny, IMHO.
Complaints: a) I wish I had discovered the link below and picked up a big piece and split it w/a friend instead of paying 50.00 for a fraction of what I'd have gotten if I'd purchased a 60" wide yard. :P
b) my 18x18 piece isn't very big when it comes to pressing seams while sewing garments, esp pants. Or, pressing quilt tops.

The great thing about these felt mats are the firmness underneath when you're pressing. I have a great pad on my ironing board, but it won't hold a candle to the 3/4" thick felt. The thickness is where you come out a winner (again, my .02) because it creates a very FIRM base on which to press.

While I have a very nice ironing board pad, this mat delivers a premium surface for ironing all those pesky seams when piecing - mine are pristine, regardless of my "obvious beginner" piecing. lol

I actually used the mat on top of my kitchen island (formica surface) - and was amazed at the moisture collecting under the mat from using steam when pressing. Didn't hurt my counter (though I'd not recommend doing this!!!) - i was lucky. Just keep in mind, you'll want to let it breathe.

Now, I am in the process of designing a surface to fit atop a table for use as a large cuttong/ironing table in my "soon to be" sewing room. This company offers felt in various thicknesses and its product is 100% wool.
http://www.thefeltcompany.com/sae-pressed-wool-felt/

With a large piece, I can place it on my work surface (or set aside) when quilting and sewing. Why such a large piece? For me, and mind you, I'm a total newbie quilter, when trying to iron the top of my first quilt, it wasn't easy - I want a surface where, as I press, I can roll my top onto a large tube as I complete the ironing (so it doesn't wrinkle).

Hopefully in the coming weeks, as I get my table/sewing room put together, I can share some images!
Hi there! I made a 24" x 60" ironing board and my husband attached it to the metal ironing board frame for me. I would like to cover that and two small table top ironing boards with a wool mat. I saw people purchasing wool carpet mats from euro rug, so I purchase some from them too, but it is not the same as the wool pressing mat I purchased at my local quilt shop. So, I was just wondering what felt you ordered from The Felt Company? I called them and they told me the F7 is what they sell for pressing mats, but I also read on another blog that someone else purchased the F11. The F7 is much more expensive than the F11/13. Thank you for any information you are willing to provide!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 PM

I use the quilting diva wool pressing mat and love it. It was expensive but worth it.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:34 AM

A few weeks ago someone on this board mentioned substituting a wool horse pad. A 30" x 30" wool pad is $26.68. I haven't tried this, but I saved the website they mentioned:
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/mustang-square-wool-pad-liner/SLT901243/?srccode=PJSLT&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=referral/&source=pepperjam&publisherId=43737&clickId=2658579345