Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reasons to not build/acquire a stash: >

Reasons to not build/acquire a stash:

Reasons to not build/acquire a stash:

Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 PM

When I made my first quilt almost 40 years ago, fabric at Woolworth's was a dollar a yard. Now it can easily be 12 times that much. I consider my stash a hedge against rising prices...especially if I stock up on solids and blenders. I have told my children who to call to clean out my sewing room when I pass..I know other quilters would love my stuff...I have no guilt about it. I can afford to buy fabric, I enjoy quilting, so I do...
Old 06-17-2019, 05:39 PM

I do!! My kids say the same thing, what is going to happen to all the fabric and all your sewing stuff. I tell them to call the neices and tell them to come over with some big boxes and let them take what they want, none of my children sew or quilt but my nieces all do, there are two of them..I just hope someone will enjoy all the fabric and all my machines as much as I enjoyed all of it. Most of my stash was given to me from friends that have passed on, so now I will do the same..
Old 06-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I do not regret having the fabrics I have. In 2010 I decided I wanted to make quilts for the rest of my life. I have made many, many quilts since then. If someone wants a quilt I give them one. Most of the others I donate. I try to donate about 40 per year. They go to the Foster kids in our county. Warmth is always good.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I don't have mixed feelings. I think you need a stash of some sort to be able to get creative. But for me too much fabric is overwhelming. I've donated a lot over the years that I've gotten tired of and don't miss any of it.
I love precuts because I like to have all the fabrics in a line.
So now I have a lot of precuts and some yardage but not as much as before.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:48 PM

I think we’re coming from the same place on this issue. I began pursuing French cooking at 19. I’ve acquired a lot of items and haven’t begun to add copper to the horde or the silver pans I’m eyeing. I started exploring an eco-friendly lifestyle several years ago and make many things myself. The jars and equipment require more storage.

I have a mini photography studio, food props and boards, scrapbooking materials and others for drawing. Now I’m exploring fashion illustration and piano and we haven’t addressed sewing yet. I’ve built a life around cultural pursuits and self-improvement but we’ve outgrown our space. I don’t want a house but a townhouse with an office and studio are a must.

I enjoy gardening, herbalism, and soap-making. I’d like to make some candles but canning season is here and I’ll be busy for the summer. Now I’ve added woodworking to the mix. I’ve been pruning continually and trying to rid the house of paper and unnecessary items. Clutter is bothersome and I’m buying a lot of organizational items to keep things tidy.

I have a lot of books but got rid of my share when I changed things around. Decorating has a way of igniting my want to purge. I’m in my 40s but excess overwhelms my senses. I think its manageable with great storage (like floor to ceiling cabinets) but I’d want glass to see what’s in there.

The way I curtail taking on more is by documenting my time. For instance, if I have 4 hobbies when will I do them? Although I work from home I think its important to account for my time. It’s easy to assume you’ll do more until your time tracker reveals otherwise. And I have to answer the now question as well. Why is it necessary to do it at this moment? Is it feasible given my other interests?

Most of my activities are interrelated. And there are others I haven’t taken and may never pick up. I’m beginning to limit myself and opt for specialized interests that I can dig into rather than a hodgepodge.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 PM

I've never been the person to buy much fabric just because I love it--a few pieces but not as a habit. I will buy batiks and blenders/solids when I see them on sale so have more stash of that type. I'm pretty limited in space to store it so that helps. I am trying to limit to only "need now" purchases both wanting to restrain my spending and also because I want to clear out all the other "stuff" we've accumulated in the basement and other storage spots. My DH is a bit of a hoarder so it's sometimes an uphill battle.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:14 PM

I have quite a large stash of just about everything quilting - fabric, thread, notions, etc. When we moved, I did feel badly, sort of, about just how much I had. However, we moved because of the economy. My husband had to close his business. Since moving, I have purchased SOME fabric but not a lot. I don’t have much room to store it and we don’t have the income we used to have. That said, I have still been able to make many beautiful quilts and am now teaching 4 beginners to sew/quilt. I am providing all the supplies since 3 of them are children and it is nice that I am able to do that.

I’m sure my relatives (I have no children) will have to deal with my stash, machines, etc. but, for now, I am able to use it to teach others the joy of sewing and quilting!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM

I have a large stash. I make scrappy quilts and I draw from the stash. Unfortunately, I always want to buy a few more fabrics for any scrappy quilt I make. Hence, more stash. I’ve instructed my granddaughters that when I die, whatever they or their friends want, please take. What no one wants, donate to a quilt guild. The members will want my fabrics.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:40 PM

I have a huge stash and moved it many times in the last 7 yrs. It has become burdensome, but at the same time I was going through a lot of family turmoil when it was purchased. For the first move it wasn't so big and after that move a JoAnne's was closing and I bought a few bolts. Due to living in small apartments the fabric wasn't easily accessible and their was no place to quilt. Which made me keep on moving it. Hopefully, after I get this house renovated I can quilt again and will be happy I have a nice stash.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Butterfli19 - It was your thread that "inspired" this one - I did not want to hijack your thread.

How to rebuild my fabric stash?