Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to rebuild my fabric stash? >

How to rebuild my fabric stash?

How to rebuild my fabric stash?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 AM

Default How to rebuild my fabric stash?

A few years ago I read Marie Kondo's book on tidying and went thru my house like a Tasmanian Devil and rid it of all sorts of things that no longer "made me feel joy". Well, that was very liberating and gave my home such a better sense of calmness so I don't regret doing it, but...some things in retrospect I wished I'd kept, or at least I think I wish I'd kept, but I try to stay out of the past.

Anyway, I did donate quite a bit of fabric. Which was fine because now my taste has changed but I don't have a lot of solids and many of the new patterns I like - I seem to be leaning towards making cosmetic and tote bags and small table runners and wall hangings - I don't have enough coordinating fabrics for.

So which are the best USA online shops that will help me rebuild my stash? I like bright and cheery and humorous (like those fruit bottom beach ladies) and happy fabrics for seasonal and quick gifts or pick-me-ups, that I could sew in a few hours or a weekend. There are so many I get lost in the looking so I need some help narrowing them down.

Which are your favorites? Which do you shop from the most? And if you've ever done this ridding then restashing, how did you figure it all out?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:13 AM

Quilted Twins and Marshall's Dry Goods are my recommendation. They both have great prices and customer service.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:17 AM

I use Connecting Threads, the clearance section is how I built up some of my stash.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Hancocks of Paducah, especially their sales https://www.hancocks-paducah.com/

Thousands of Bolts https://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ind...iceType=WidePC

Both of these vendors have great prices on solids along with many other fabrics.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 AM

I have a huge stash of fabric and I'm glad that I do. The price of fabric has really gone up. Yes my taste have changed some, but I still like my old fabric in many ways. For getting new fabric, it depends on budget. If you have a really good budget your options are quite limitless. On a smaller budget, thrift shops, yard sales and cutting up clothing all help. My favorite online store is fabric.com, but haven't purchased any fabric from them in a few years.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 AM

Along with what has already been listed above, two more of my favorite shops are Green Fairy Quilts and Bug Fabrics. Green Fairy always has great deals and Bug Fabrics is always full of fun fabrics.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 AM

A lot of it depends on what sizes of pieces you want. I like working with scraps/collections of fabrics so smaller pieces are fine for me. I'd check out some of the stash bundles from eQuilter.

https://www.equilter.com/category/38...se-scrap-packs

You can also look at some of the fabric swaps we have going on here. Back around Y2K I did a lot of fabric swapping, unfortunately for me I'm still in the fabric using phase of those swaps! Or, there are commercial clubs you can join that will send you a package of assorted fabrics (usually fat quarters) at intervals.

edit: I should mention that I have bought two of the scrap packs when I was still buying fabric. They were both great, particularly the black & white collection, was very happy with the size of the pieces and the quality of the fabric. I do most of my on-line fabric buying at equilter first and amazon (various sellers) second. In the real world, I do most of my fabric buying at thrift stores and my stash. Don't always come home with stuff but sometimes I score big!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 06-17-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I got rid of a lot of fabric that I no longer liked. I haven't missed any of it.
My favorite places to shop are Missouri Star and Fat Quarter Shop. I have a lot of FQ bundles, layer cakes, etc because sometimes I love to have a bit of the whole line. I don't buy as much yardage as I used to.
Etsy also has some great shops full of fabrics.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I don't see any reason to have a big stash as I'm approaching being old. I won't use it all. I didn't use it all when I was middle age! I buy precuts of fat quarters, jelly rolls and layer cakes. Pre cuts have all the fabric line of one design. I pick one that I like and buy yardage of that for borders, backing, etc.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 AM

If you're looking for how to rebuild your stash, come to my house! We both win LOL.